Saved a file, GB can't find it

bluesfordan

this is not the first time this has happened, unfortunately. Upon deciding to call it a night, I saved my file in my usual manner, gave it a name and saved it to the folder I made for it. Then I decided to do something else and went to open it and I got this error message

Audio file "broken up Brit #02.aif" not found and a button to continue. Broken up Brit is the name of the guitar amp sim I used to make the track. There was another project that had 3 tracks and one of them is similarly "amp sim.aif not found" but the other two were. There was a third instance of this happening on a solo track but I have since deleted the file entirely out of frustration (it was one of my better efforts in a while, too, which really sucked to lose.)

Finder says there's a file there 16 MB in a format called .band with the name I gave it. When you press continue it opens up the project as I exited it sans any audio in the track yet the box the audio waveform should be in is there in the length of the file as if it were there.

I'm sure the audio is still somewhere but I just don't know how to make it come back so I can listen to it and/or make changes. Is this just something that happens, should I be making multiple files to save to make sure at least one survives? Why is this happening?

Are these tracks you recorded? An AIFF file is the format a track would be recorded, though it could be a bounced (Share in GB lingo) mix.

A .band (GB project) is a kind of folder that is opened by GB but you should be able to right click and expand to see the media file content. That’s where your recorded AIFF files should be. When you Save a project it’s actually saving the folder and its contents. There’s no file save option IIRC.

I’m traveling and don’t have my MacBook so can’t be more specific, but I’d check all your GB preferences and make sure anything to do with files, if an option, is set to keep everything organized in the project folder.

What version of Macos are you using?

High Sierra currently has a bug with other-than-US language settings. It surfaces sometimes when you use a sign like # or others. I haven't seen it in GB, but a number of Audacity users have been bitten by it.

What version of Macos are you using?

High Sierra currently has a bug with other-than-US language settings. It surfaces sometimes when you use a sign like # or others. I haven't seen it in GB, but a number of Audacity users have been bitten by it.

Sierra 10.12.6, late 2012 i5 dual core, 16 GB RAM, well over 300 GB of space left on HD, GarageBand 10.1.6, holding off on High Sierra until I hear the bugs are worked out. Got too many plugins to have rendered idle waiting for a fix.

Back