Sarlett Solo - Interface Issues

zimbo

After reading through various reviews regarding mic pre-amps, I've decided this is the way to go. However, I believe it can't be used with Windows XP (my OS) - is there a way around this?

Does anybody have experience of using this interface with Windows XP?

On focusrite's website it shows that it isn't compatible, not sure if there's much you can do outside of picking a different interface or upgrading your OS. I'm not a computer genius though...maybe someone here has an idea.

After reading through various reviews regarding mic pre

Have you actually bought the Scarlet Solo? If so IGN why? You say you read up on things?

Anyhoos, IF you have the beast try ASIO4all, might work. If not you will need to upgrade to Windows 7.

I did this a couple of months ago, with some reluctance, with my one remaining XP Pro machine. I really wanted to keep one PC with XP (it did all I needed it to and was handy for helping guys like you!) but the limitations of IE8 eventually forced my hand. You can download a test program from Msoft which will tell you if the PC is capable of running W7 and if you can run the 64bit version but the latter is of little use to you (afaik) unless you have, intend to get and can fit more than 4 G of ram.

Then. installing W7 on an XP machine is not trivial. Because you are "jumping over" Blista you need to format your hard drive and make a clean install. Actually if the PC is fairly powerful it is worth removing the old system drive and fitting an SSD as the "C" drive.

But, unless you are fairly PC cute it is probably best to buy a refurbed W7 machine (I have never had it but by all accounts you do not want 8/8.1) .

MODs!!! I am still getting truncated quotes even in Advanced mode. This is on an HP i3 laptop but I have just tried a W7/64 desktop and the same thing happens. Pretty sure it does not happen elsewhere but will check.

Dave. (NB OP if perchance you HAVEN'T bought the Splo? Don't, anyway.)

I haven't bought it. I read some good recommendations on here about it. I'm looking for a nice mic pre-amp around the same price as the Scarlett. You don't seem too impressed with it?

IMO, and I'm sure Dave will second: best preamps and latency and stability in the price range comes from NI KA6. If you can afford it, go for it.

I haven't bought it. I read some good recommendations on here about it. I'm looking for a nice mic pre

Sorry about the short quote! I am sure the Mods are looking into the matter as we speak!

No, I am not impressed by the Solo (nor the 2i2) Slightly unfair of me since I have not tried either and I do have a S/H 8i6 which I don't use a lot but seems excellent. (the pres are comparable to the KA6 for noise, maybe have a smidge more gain) No, my beef is with the lack of functions for the price. The Alesis iO2 has two mic amps, ok maybe not quite as good but chips is cheap! MIDI and S/PDIF.

But my top reccy under £100 surely has to be the Steinberg UR22. Again I have not tried one but all I read is good. (I keep an eye on the local Cash Genny shop where I got the iO2 and the 8i6). Mic pres get an especially good vote.

Yes Ken, the NI KA6 beats them all but is nearly 3 times the price of the Solo..VASTLY better value tho' IMHO!

Dave.

Sorry, did not mean for the price range, meant bang for buck, but somehow got distracted...oh look, a bunny!

Sorry, did not mean for the price range, meant bang for buck, but somehow got distracted...oh look, a bunny!

Worked that time! "I" know what you meant Ken, but no matter HOW you say it the KA6 is a bloody good interface!

Dave.

Back