[SOLVED] Sample - mda Stereo (turn mono track into wide stereo image)

D

danny.guitar

This is a sample I recorded using the free mda Stereo VST plugin. I recommend this plugin a lot and I thought I'd post a sample of what it sounds like on acoustic guitar.

I love this plugin because all you do is add it to a mono track, and change the "width" slider to control how wide you want the stereo image. It also sounds fine in mono which is very important to me. And I hear very little-to-no artifacts going on.

The recording starts out with the width set to 0, or basically still mono, then, steps up to 100% at the end.

(Thanks to zed for recommending this plugin to me. ;))

(Right-click, Save As...)

To download the plugin:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/797.html

Wooow, that sounds really good, at the end it seems like it was double tracked. :)

Right now I am waiting for the plugin to download

Wooow, that sounds really good, at the end it seems like it was double tracked. :)

Right now I am waiting for the plugin to download

Thanks kubeek. If you have any trouble let me know and I can send you a copy.

Thanks Danny,
I downloaded a zillion mda vsts early in the year & haven't done much with them as there aren't any demos, explanations or presets & I'm not much a sitting & experimenting. This one will be put to the top now as I have an idea of how it'll change things. The variation from beginning to end - was that achieved manually or were you able to automate it?

Thanks Danny,
I downloaded a zillion mda vsts early in the year & haven't done much with them as there aren't any demos, explanations or presets & I'm not much a sitting & experimenting. This one will be put to the top now as I have an idea of how it'll change things. The variation from beginning to end - was that achieved manually or were you able to automate it?

Hey, rayc. :) I used Reaper's automation envelopes to change the "width" parameter as the song went on. It sucks you have to download the entire mda plugin collection and not just mda Stereo. If someone wants me to upload a copy of just mda Stereo I can do that.

mda Stereo rocks. i think i'm the one who recommended it to you in the first place ;)

Interestingly - I had probs with all of mda when using a free VST wrapper. There were probs with the wrapper itself in that the prog would remember a VST was there but not which & I'd have to reselect each time. I actually shelled out $59 US for the Cakewalk wrapper & it sets up the VSTs better & the functions/variable are better managed. Hence I'm doubly happy with mda stereo now (pun intended).
Thanks fellows.

I used to have the full big old pack of MDA stuff, used to use MDA stereo quite a bit. I guess I just don't end up needing to stereo-ify stuff much anymore.... usually it's either tracked stereo, or placed where I Want it with delay/verb to create some space

I usually just use it in sparse mixes with a couple tracks or on a solo acoustic track. Stereo miking with 2 omnis (unfortunately all I have right now are omni mics) doesn't usually produce a good enough stereo image. It's also nice being able to change it easily without re-tracking.

Back