S90xs (synth) - UR242(audio interface) - HS5(speaker) connect

BrightonTae

Hi, there.

some questions of home-recording and cables.

I want to know whether using TRS cable between S90xs(synth) and UR242(audio interface) is ok instead of TS cable.
(actually, S90xs output is unbalance supported..)

Generally I know that TS cable is used for connection of synth to speaker or synth to audio interface.
But if I use TRS cable between synth and UR242(audio interface), is there any sound different? better or worse?

how about UR242(audio interface) and Speaker(HS5) ? I'm using TRS-XLR

Using UR242(audio interface) can make sound worse than direct connection between S90xs(synth) - HS5(speaker) ?
I felt sound is unclear when using audio interface compared to TRS-XLR direct connection between S90xs(synth) - HS5(speaker).

what is best option for me to make clear sound? Do I need to buy TS-TS cable for synth and audio interface to test sound difference ?

cable length 3~4m is ok for home recording system? (using belden / mogami)

*** I really don't know the reason of unclear sound is whether because of cable type or because of audio interface added.. ***

1. Since the keyboard's LINE OUT is unbalanced, there's no advantage to using TRS cables. Use a regular, shielded (e.g., instrument) cable with 1/4" TS connectors and keep it reasonably short. The UR242 will handle that, though the Getting Started Guide makes the point of stating their LINE IN specs were measured with balanced inputs. (I assume you are going in to the back panel inputs 3/4.)

2. Balanced cables (TRS-TRS or TRS-XLR) are correct for interface to monitors.

3. Can't comment on that. It may depend on what's going on in the DAW, since it looks like the UR242 does not have direct monitoring capability, your keyboard may be going through an A/D->D/A path via the PC when monitoring via the interface. In short, no comment!

4. No idea since I don't know what you're hearing. I'd probably want to try a different interface to compare. Do you hear the same kind of difference when monitoring with headphones?

5. The cable length should be Ok, though with unbalanced, shorter is always better. I doubt that is contributing to what you are hearing though.

Thanks for answer, keith :)

will there be any difference if keybords's LINE OUT(unbalanced) is connected to balanced TRS cable ?

yes, it's same when I hear through audio interface headphone side.

It doesn't support direct monitoring, but I can use it w/o computer connect, because it's connected with main power. (no usb power)

Generally, does audio-interface merge two different inputs(R/L) together and divide them into two same signal?
or divide them into two different signal with inter-process of audio interface?
or just it transfer two seperated original signal to R/L speaker?

will there be any difference if keybords's LINE OUT(unbalanced) is connected to balanced TRS cable ?
The only way to know is to test it with both, IMO. What you have if you use a TRS-TRS cable is a floating ring, and it's going to be up to the interface's circuitry to decide how to handle that. I'd guess that's less than optimal, but it should be a simple test. (Maybe one of the more electronically knowledgeable folks here can chime in.?)
yes, it's same when I hear through audio interface headphone side.

It doesn't support direct monitoring, but I can use it w/o computer connect, because it's connected with main power. (no usb power)
Interesting. So, this kind of puzzles me, though TBH, I've never tried my powered interface in an unconnected mode. Does that mean the monitor path auto-switches to a direct mode if nothing is detected on the digital I/O path?
Generally, does audio-interface merge two different inputs(R/L) together and divide them into two same signal?
or divide them into two different signal with inter-process of audio interface?
or just it transfer two seperated original signal to R/L speaker?
The interface should be keeping all channels independent. From its point of view, there really isn't anything like L/R, except in the headphone amp path, perhaps. Everything else is just 1, 2, 3, 4 in and out.

Back