Rough metal sound with Metal Zone + SB Live!

jalla

I'm here to show you guys that you can actually get some decent metal sound without any preamps or quality soundcards.

Here's the setup I use:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom -> Metal Zone MT-2 distortion pedal -> SB Live! 5.1

There is nothing else in that setup. I record with Adobe Audion and apply some EQ. I used drumkit from hell for the drums. There is no bass. Here's the result

Dont expect anything mind-blowing, but for that setup, you just might be surprised.

Last edited:
I think the metal zone pedal has the digitech thing in it that lets you plug right into a board or recording device....so it was made to do that....but im still surprised that it can work.

I have done some decent demo recordings with just a Boss DS-1 into line-in's of either PC or mixer. This pedal model has been around for a long time, even though Boss has come out with newer distortion pedals, the DS-1 still survives.

What kind of EQ settings did you use ?

Was that a clean note at the end ?

Wow, that doesnt sound too bad.

The only way I have ever got a metal zone to sound good is to turn the distortion all the way down and keep all the eq's straight up and down, through a tube amp.

Good job! :D

Here are the setups and also one full song played with the same setup, eq settings are a bit different though.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/mika_j/metalzone

Those EQ settings are for the metal clip I posted here. All 3 EQ's are applied to both guitar tracks except that the other one is just slightly different.

Damn, that's cool man. The Metal Zone MT-2 is a really great distortion pedal if you ask me.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to recording (2 days =), but I will definitely give my MZ a spin this weekend!

By the way, how do you find Adobe Audition to be in general? I just downloaded the Trial version today and it seems pretty easy enough to use. Do you think it would be a good starting point for a newbie? (I've got a Fender Stratocaster (JP), a Metal Zone MT-2, a small CRATE GX-20M amp, and my laptop! Am I missing anything for some basic guitar recording?)

Klato said:
Damn, that's cool man. The Metal Zone MT-2 is a really great distortion pedal if you ask me.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to recording (2 days =), but I will definitely give my MZ a spin this weekend!

By the way, how do you find Adobe Audition to be in general? I just downloaded the Trial version today and it seems pretty easy enough to use. Do you think it would be a good starting point for a newbie? (I've got a Fender Stratocaster (JP), a Metal Zone MT-2, a small CRATE GX-20M amp, and my laptop! Am I missing anything for some basic guitar recording?)

AA is a great tool for recording. It's very easy to use and has great features for pro use as well. The only downside is the price. Well, it's not expensive comparing to all the features, but compared to n-track for example, it's pretty heavy.

It of course depends how professionally you want to record. But usually you need to consider also things like soundcard, your hardware setup etc. It's no use to have great software if the sound is messed up before it reaches the software.

Try to record some stuff through your metal zone using input, you don't need the amp. Record two tracks, pan the first one about 75% left and the other one 75% right and apply EQ's similarily like i've done (see the same folder where the mp3 file is). Then you need to start tweaking this your yourself but it's a good starting point. Good luck!

Back