Rock-Solid MB & RAM Combo for FX-8320-Based Dedicated Reaper Box?

bongolation

Here in the Studio of Death (where year after year thousands of dollars worth of DAW/recording gear goes to unproductively and mysteriously croak without ever recording a single note) I recently cooked a C: drive on the existing system, prompting me to throw the whole cursed mess out and start over again from scratch on a v3.0 box.

This box is solely for Reaper and hopefully some video editing...and it's gotta work this time.

CPU is an FX-8320 because at $99 (boxed) on super-sale, it's simply the best bang for the buck in processing, by a substantial margin. I've bought all new parts: HD and SS drives, case(s), PSU(s), a truly massive liquid CPU cooler, fans and am only keeping the dual-monitor video card from the old system as Reaper and video editing do not materially benefit from a snazzier unit, and by some miracle the vidcard actually hasn't blown up.

The only things left to get -- and they are crucial picks! -- are the momboard and the 1866mHz RAM.

[OS will have to be either XP/64 or Win7/64, as my Lexicon interface doesn't (and won't) have Win8 drivers.]

I've tried all the usual tech forums on this, but as soon as I say this isn't for a gaming box, nobody has anything to contribute. :mad:

I know, I shouldda come here first...

Lacking any help, after much digging I've learned a lot of stuff, such as that boards that do great with other AMD CPUs have unpredictable problems or shortened lifespans with the Vishera, or that some brands of the nominally-correct RAM simply won't reliably go with some MB/CPU combos...etc.

Most of the usual concerns for this question revolve around gaming features that aren't even applied A/V work, and I don't see spending extra money on unactivated motherboard features.

The main thing is that this thing HAS to work!

I've screwed around for years with hardware gremlins that have absolutely broken my heart and spirit for recording. This crap has to end. This box absolutely has to boot and run right first time every time and do so until I say it's time to quit.

What worked for you?

Thanks for any help...I really need it!

I've got no build experience when it comes to putting a PC together from scratch but I've replaced enough RAM in my life to be able to recommend Crucial. I've got 16gb loaded up in my current DAW setup and it functions flawlessly. But until you get the MOBO figured out you won't know what RAM will be compatible.

I had 2 different AMD-based systems that I tried to use for audio work. I found the first to be underpowered (was a dual-core, can't remember the model) and the second was a quad-core and always had weird noise/static/pop issues regardless of CPU load.

I finally just said screw it and went with an Intel system. No issues, no compatibility problems, and it's been very stable. Not a huge fan of the Gigabyte mobo I chose, but it performs well and is very stable. Crucial RAM, Samsung SSD, WD HDDs, it's a great machine. There is so much CPU overhead that the on-board graphics handle all basic DAW activity on 2 monitors with plenty of overhead to spare. No idea if it could handle video editing.

I love the idea of how much cheaper AMD processors and chipsets are, but after getting bit twice with underperforming and frustrating noisy chipsets, I just went with the power and reliability of Intel's 4th generation CPUs. Their Haswell and Devil's Canyon socket LGA 1150 processors are awesome.

I'm not sure where to begin. What I see in your post is that you have had various pieces of equipment fail. I can only guess from your comment about booting correctly that you or your surroundings may play a part in your previous problems, destined to be your future failures unless your take a good hard look at not just *what* went wrong in the past but most importantly, why. If you truly have a track record of failing equipment, some without seeing any real use, I first offer that you need to look at you. AKA, the user. Your first paragraph sums it up, truly unexplained equipment failures are typically the result of only a couple root causes. The first is the most difficult to deal with, because it involves the user. Most people believe that if they know how to turn on a computer they must know how to operate it correctly. This is as untrue as believing a person knows how to drive a car just because they can turn a key, much less maintain the device. This is not a commentary on an individual's IQ or "smarts", just statement of fact. Therefore be sure you review the proper operation of your software and hardware. For example a lot of booting issues that are not related to failing failing hardware are due to a computer that is incorrectly turned off or restarted. The second is usually the first to be suspect. Mystery failures are often not mysterious at all. Be sure that electrical components are all plugged in correctly and the power in your home or office is clean. I highly recommend the use of a power conditioner and or UPS. Issues with power many times present themselves as mystery or 'gremlins'. Power quality issues can also be the result of other components that are bad or going bad such as cables that are shorting or a device connected to your computer that has issues.
Regarding your query into a solid system, I can only offer that you do your research on the individual components you select and purchase based on reliability rather than build an entire solution around what was on sale at the moment. Honestly I think your starting out on a path to instability using a cheap proc and a non Intel platform. For the casual hobbiest an Intel i5 or higher is plenty for audio recording. However if you insist on video processing on the same computer, you now have a second set of specifications to consider. Quite frankly, I have two ssd based computers one is an older Intel core 2 duo at 3Ghz and the other is my new ride with an Intel 4Ghz proc. I use both for Reaper, both run Windows 7 x 64bit (if you use xp, you will get what you deserve) and both have Adobe Premiere. Both record casual projects and mix down with no problem, however for video the quad core 4Ghz proc is hands down the faster of the two. While I do not know the AMD processor line like I used to, I do know the majority of COTS software is written and compiled to take advantage of Intel specific intruction sets and features. Like it or not, fair or not, that's just the way it is. There are still a few hippies out there writing video codecs that may specifically mention AMD processor requirements but the reality is that Intel is the most widely accepted standard and therefore the focus of application optimizations. I can't recommend what brand will work for you, you will have to assess your budget and spend accordingly based on your own research. Sometimes, the reality is, we can't always afford the 'good stuff' and I get that but, expectations are going to have to line up with the budget. Something that was curious that you mentioned was a liquid CPU cooler. Thats not a normal part of a dedicated, business class computer solution. That also hints at other reasons things may be failing in your environment. Aftermarket cooling, especially liquid cooling, is normally not needed when using equipment properly. It sounds like you have or are planning to either over clock or run this thing in a grass hut on the equator. Either is an absolute no-no if you truly seek stability. Bottom line, send all that...stuff...back, do your research, puchase industry standard components and understand that even multi-million dollar solutions can have problems. But if you invest in the best up front you can expect the most from your host long term...that's good I'm gonna use that again sometime. Lastly, I highly highly highly recommend you consider purchasing a computer rather than buiding. Whatever you decide I hope you will consider my first few mentionables to perhaps avoid future unrelated problems. Best of luck!

I've not had any problems with W7 for stability, I'd recommend an SSD though and a motherboard that supports USB 3 as it's crucial for that extra 6gbps speed, then get a special dedicated external HHD just soley for backing up your computer once a month, if it dies on you then you have got a backup plan.

Don't get a mega high watt PSU either, you rarely need anything above 400w unless it's a quad slr gaming machine, it causes a lot of stability issues having too much power, most noobs don't realise this and think it's the OS or something else.

My last and biggest build to date used an Asus M5A97 LER2.0 MOBO and an AMD FX 6300 Black 3.5G 6core processor. My main reason to buy was that it had 3 PCI slots for my two 2496 soundcards.

I have installed W7/64 Home* and it went in like paint. Cubase LE6, an old Samplitude se8 and Adobe 1.5 are onboard and the computer has worked and been super stable for over 18months.

But have you tried soundonsound.com? Pete over there is the man from Scan but is always happy to advise even if you are not a customer. Lots of very PC smart guys there as well.

*Found out recently that Home is limited to 16G ram no matter the MOBO capacity.

Dave.

Asus M5a99FX or Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (my recommendation) (both 990 North and 950 South, loads of USB, highly stable MBs) depending on what layout you're looking for. Running the Gigabyte on my 8 core game machine. My music machine is i5, soon to be i7 fanless (that's gonna be fun! :)).

Back