The Right Soundcard For Me

kmoyst

Ok... I have a very limited budget. I need something that I can plug two high quality condensor microphones directly into and record vocals and acoustic guitars with. Basically, the sound cards i have now are recording at too low a level and when i amplify the signal.. the noise level is too high. I know ideally I should have a preamp.. but do i NEED one? if so.. i'd prably be better off going with an external preamp instead of buying a sound card with a built in one 'eh? like an aardvark or something. I was looking around and came across the turtle beach montego II. and i was wondering.. would the noise level still be too high? is there a soundcard i can get with only two inputs (so i'm not paying for something i don't desperately need right now) and that's recording at a level high enough (mic level not line level) that i can use the two microphones that i have and get good results? any help would be appreciated.

Kurt

You could get a card that has mike-pre's and phantom power like the Event Mona(around $799). Or you could get a card with 2 line inputs, then get a separate dual mike-pre with phantom power....or a dual mike-pre and separate dual phantom power supply.

I'd guess if you got something like the Montego II, you might just get a dual mike-pre with phantom power like the Audio Buddy.
I believe sells for around $99...that's as cheap as it gets for new stuff. Dont know how good it is, though

Basically, you NEED to have mike-pre's for your high quality condensors whether they're built into the card or a separate unit.

I almost forgot, I guess some condensors can use batteries instead of phantom power, but I'd still recommend a mike-pre to bring the mike signal to line level, then use the line inputs on your card.

[This message has been edited by MrBoogie (edited 07-07-2000).]

Back