Resource Monitor for DAW

andrushkiwt

Hey yo,

Anyone aware of a way to monitor in detail which vsts and plugs are using the most resources in your DAW? A real-time program or plug for this would be great.

Thanks!

The poor-man's way would be to open Windows task manager, locate the DAW in the list of processes, then as you open VSTs see how much the resource (memory/cpu) increase. There's also more robust task process viewers available, but that is the most basic method. I believe all my VSTs open within the same DAW memory space, but I honestly haven't looked in a while. I mention this because each VST might open a separate process in task manager, which is great if it did because then you wouldn't have to figure out how much more cpu and memory it uses, it would just be telling you.

In Sonar I have a small window on the toolbar which displays computer vitals, does your DAW have something like this?

If you're using a Mac, I know there's a similar way to view active processes (similar to task manager) but an Apple user would need to tell you (or google it).

Which DAW are you using?

In Reaper, one of the views is a Performance Meter which shows total usage as well as what each VST is taking up.

I don't know about other DAWs.

In Studio One:

View | Performance Monitor | Show Devices

I haven't actually used it before so I'm not sure if it gives you what you're looking for, but it looks close anyway. :)

In Studio One:

View | Performance Monitor | Show Devices

I haven't actually used it before so I'm not sure if it gives you what you're looking for, but it looks close anyway. :)

Got it! Cool thanks.

CPU usage:

1. Amplitube
2. TDR compressor
3. Reverb
4. Recabinet
The rest.. Eqs and comps

Superior drummer is actually very low. One of the lowest, in the same boat as the stock EQ for studio One.

CPU usage shows 50% with just tracking files open.. 4 guitars, bass, SD, and 4 vocal tracks with EQ comp verb. Haven't started mixing..just finishing up tracking on a tune. Bouncing out the guitar tracks will help...damn commitment

Superior drummer is actually very low. One of the lowest, in the same boat as the stock EQ for studio One.

That actually makes sense. A sample-based instrument just has to figure out which audio sample to play, then play it. CPU usage is low, but it will fill up your memory or use bandwidth off the hard drive, which affects total number of tracks.

I'm surprised to see a compressor using more cpu resources than a reverb.

I'm surprised to see a compressor using more cpu resources than a reverb.

Yeah I guess that one is heavier. It's called TDR Feedback Compressor. The verbs are stock, so maybe a renowned verb would be more resource dependent. Haven't heard any complaints on my verbs though, and the single time I tried a different One, I couldn't grasp the 20 knobs regarding early reflections. Too much detail. For me at this point anyway. Think I had a thread on that reverb a couple months ago.

So, again, improving resources here would be a processor issue, right? Not RAM? I have 8gb in the laptop with room for 8 more.

Is there a need to improve performance? Is something going wrong?

Yeah I have another thread somewhere about it. Crackling. The more vsts I insert, the worse it gets. At a certain point, you can't hear the audio at all, just distortion. I can manage by bouncing things out when possible, but it would be nice to be able to keep Amplitube open in case I need to edit something there later on.

Simply measuring the processor overhead of individual effects might give you information but it doesn't fix the problem. If you change from the plug in you want to a different one based solely on performance, you'll always know you didn't use exactly the right process or effect.

A few thoughs...

First, on most DAWS you can improve performance by increasing the latency/buffer size. Latency is a problem when recording but you can put up with a short delay every time you press play while mixing.

Second, being scrupulous about not having un-necessary processes running in background can make a big difference. Two huge conflicts can be Antil Virus software and Wifi connections but really you want to have your system as clean as possible.

Third, if you Google "optimise a Windows XXX computer for audio" you'll get lots of suggested changes you can make to your system, generally just changing some of the priorities for software and disc access.

Finally, I don't know about the DAW you use but you'll find most of them have a facility to freeze/pre-render effect heavy tracks. Generally you can turn it off and go back to make changes but, when activated, it cuts down hugely on the processor load.

Finally, I don't know about the DAW you use but you'll find most of them have a facility to freeze/pre-render effect heavy tracks. Generally you can turn it off and go back to make changes but, when activated, it cuts down hugely on the processor load.

I have gotten in the habit of freezing most of my tracks as I'm recording/mixing, it makes a huge difference.

I did all those other things in the past. Computer is good to go. I'll look into freezing.

And I wanted to know which vsts were the worst for my own amusement. I never claimed it would solve any problem by checking....?

Thanks though

I didn't claim you claimed it would solve a problem. Lets play this game. :)
Late comer to the thread - thought I'd missed the original query or problem.

My advice is to get a session into the state where you have lots of problems and while it's running, monitor system usage.
You're concerned with RAM in use, CPU percentage use average, and hard drive read/writes.
The first two are easy and obvious. The third, I don't really know how to check but process of elimination should be enough.

If your system shows < say 80% cpu use and a gig of RAM unused, it would suggest your HDD is the bottleneck.

meant to quote Bobbsy, but was on mobile and everything is a pain that way.

With respect, I was responding to the post where you said:

Yeah I have another thread somewhere about it. Crackling. The more vsts I insert, the worse it gets. At a certain point, you can't hear the audio at all, just distortion. I can manage by bouncing things out when possible, but it would be nice to be able to keep Amplitube open in case I need to edit something there later on.

...which certainly did say you had a problem. Although it might be interesting to know the relative load each VST causes, I'd never compromise my choice of effect to lighten the load--I'd freeze tracks once the sound is close. I don't know if Studio One works this way but I can go back and change "frozen" tracks like any other and simply re-freeze it later. I'd also likely to be fussy enough not to want a resource meter running in background while recording or mixing.

Simply measuring the processor overhead of individual effects might give you information but it doesn't fix the problem.

Here. I didn't see the point of writing that - where did I claim it would solve any problem? I am looking to see which vsts are hogging my resources the most, and why would I think that would solve the problem just by looking? I just don't get that statement, I guess. Kind of odd.

Anyway, Gruff pointed me out to the resource monitor within Studio One. Amplitube is, by far, the biggest user of cpu.

When you know which vst it is, you can approach tackling the problem. For example, if it was the 10 reverbs open, then someone will know to use ONE reverb and put it as a send effect instead of an insert. If it is Amplitube, then you can bounce those track with the FX, for one. So...I disagree completely with you. There is a clear reason for wondering which vsts are causing the problem....each might have their own solution.

Anyhow, i'll look into freezing. haven't done that before. thanks

Back