resamlping with the devil in 96K shoes

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
This question is pretty much specific to Vegas, but I think it will be better here... hopefully someone will know...

I started a project in Vegas in 24/96. After getting into it, and getting up to like the 16th track, I found that my system was having problems keeping up. So, frustrated I figured that the best course of action would be to resample everything to 48K, So I dove in to that, it was taking way to long, so I decided I would just suffer with the bad performance of my DAW at 96K. But then I realized that Vegas resamples automaticly anyway (how good the conversion is in realtime is an issue of course, but that may not matter..) So if I change the sampling rate I can run the mixes more efficiently. Now, the question I have is a technical one that I haven't found the answer too. When I mixdown in Vegas will the resampling matter? as far as I can tell the resampling occurs only in real time. So when "mixing down" to a new track, will the sampling rate set in the project effect the track, or will it simply resample (or not) depending on the target sampling rate of the new track? Confused? I am.

Here is where it's gotten really hairy. I ended up recording some overdubs (and vocals!) in 48K, I forgot to switch it back to 96K! uh oh.... Downsampling seems more logical than Upsampling, but the Majority of the tracks are at the higer sampling rate....... so........ Which way do I go up or down?

As far as the resampling Vegas does, I really can't hear the difference when going from 96 to 48 in realtime. I can hear a difference from 96 to 44.1 however, strange huh? (I equate this difference to the simpicity of the math, dividing by 2 seems easeir than 1.XXX and less number rounded and chopped off - or does it not work that way and I'm just making up digtal theory? I make up misguided thories all the time :))

At least I've learned that for me right now 96K is not the way to go. :D

-jhe

No, you will always hear a difference between 48 and 44.1. Others and myself have really heard that difference, and it really has nothing to do with the resampling algorithm. 48KHz is just better, and is 10% more samples then 44.1

Don't know about your Vegas questions. But at this point in the game, you may be better off trying to downsample, unless this is a very serious project, in which case, you should probably upsample so you have that much more processing power for the plug in's.

Good luck.

Ed

Ed,
To be honest I never checked out in sterile conditions the exact difference in quality of sound between 44.1 to 48 and in text book logic it should be better but I have found the difference is not worth worrying about.

Resampling, IMHO is one of the disasters of the digital world(right next to normalizing).

Thanks Ed, Shaliat,

I guess really it is just a judgement call, since I can't hear the difference between 48 and 96, I suppose it's all going to be downsampling. I wish I had started at 48 to begin with, so that it wouldn't be an issue. It's strange to me though that I can hear a difference from 44.1 to 48 but not 48 to 96. I guess my ears are good but not "that" good! :D

-jhe

Back