Replacing AudioMedia 3 or not

Downside Studio

OK, I got flamed before for being such a stuburn bastard with regards to 16bit /24 bit /44.1/ 96 etc.

Here's my situation :

Mix is coming from TMD8000 with automation and SPDif or AesEBU output. Source is coming from DA88 and DA38 so program material and console sync is at 16bit/44.1K. I am running SMPTE into console for automation.

Computer :
Mac G4, 512ram, 40GB, dual screen with AM3 card
PTLE for recording and editing audience and trackbleeds for live-cd
Bias Peak with waves C4, EQ10 and L1 for mastering purpose
Toast Titanium for writing

I normally don't need to record more than the 2 track mix into my G4. Currently I use the AM3 at 16bit setting. Reason for that is that whenever I'm editing with multiple tracks in PTLE I work with prerecorded material which is also at 16 bit.

Now everybody is flaming me for using 16bit. The way I see it is as following:
I have very professional stuff, which costs me like hell (total equipment is rated at $75.000) I personally ,and all of my clients to find audioquality great coming from my studio. I record pop, classical and all sort of shit. I even made to becoming learning centre for a big gouvernment musicschool.

Tell me how I should work 24 bit. I can record 24bit with the AM3. But what's the point? Working in PTLE with prerecorded material on 16 bit isn't compatible with recording at 24 bit. I understand that if I'm editing 24bit gives me much more acuracy (?), but I never heard the differences others clame to hear like, 'you don't know what I missed before', or ' my mixes improved more than 50% on audio quality after switching to 24bit' etc.

Please explain to me. BTW I don't mind having to buy an other soundcard. But there should be really some heavy advantages for abandonning Digidesign. I know my way around PT and I like working with this software. It never let me down.
Remember I dont need more than 2 track input.

No flames here. If it's good enough for you, that's all that matters. Personally I record and edit at 20 bits/44.1 on the ADATs and 24/44.1 in the DAW and I can tell the difference. I used to record at a higher sampling rate as well but I feel that resampling from 48KHz down to 44.1 IS audibly less desirable than just recording at 44.1 to begin with. Dithering down on the other hand is way less audible IMHO. One argument for higher bit depth is when you're editing/ processing at the higher resolution it's less audible. YMMV.

If the prerecorded material is at 16 bit then forget about editing in 24bit. Your not going to resample it to 24 bit and again resample back to 16 ......

The only aspect you should take into consideration is future work.
If you are trying to run a comercial studio then you will eventualy have to start working with 24-96k.
It's not as much a question of quality but more of clients demanding those rates.
Already today they are starting to demand (many with out knowing why) those rates and if you cant supply they will look elsewere.

Back