A reliable hardware setup for Gigastudio 160?

Jerry Kahn

Now I am officially hooked on setting up a dedicated PC, loaded with Gigastudio 160, thanks to our beloved Rev E, & looking for a reliable(gremlin-free) hardware configuration.

Requirements from Nemesis(Giga) are:
* Windows 95 or 98 (no Windows 2000),
* 256Mb RAM.
* 800MHz Pentium III or Athlon processor (or faster)
* Ultra DMA or Ultra/Ultra Wide SCSI hard drive with
a minimum access time of 10mS,
* soundcard -GSIF-compatible drivers, desirable
latency (3 to 10mS), the option of multi-channel
outputs.

Knowing all that, it seems like the options to set this thing up are endless, and I have been reading on Nemesis message boards about all sorts of fubars with one card not talking to something else, or this clicking motherboad or some other humming interface (i.e. not the good kind of humming), etc.

Any hints on reliable combinations of hardware (specifically for Giga) and good sources for such items? Affordability is of course a plus, but not at the expense of the thing not working right.

Thank you ever so much,
Jerry

Check out soundchaser.com. They specialize in DAW configuration, I think they even build machines designed specifically for Giga Studio. They even sent me a flyer once.

the owner at sound chaser tried to sell me 2 cards when all i needed was a multiclient card (mixtreme). The critical factor in setting up Giga is are you using the machine just for giga or are you going to record on to a sequencer? If you plan to record make it the meanest fastest box you can find....

tdukex: Thanks. I emailed a request to soundchaser-- I am still waiting for their response.

Kennedy: I think I want to use this box for Giga only, and do recording onto another box, and sequencing from possibly still another box. From what I hear, standalone is what Giga likes-- of course that's also more costly.
I also am interested in eliminating the extra headaches of getting software to talk or boards to talk on the same machine-- that's sort of what I do for a living so I don't need to add to that immense pleasure here. What would be the best card, in your opinion for a stand-alone Giga studio? I would probably not use Giga's Effects--I have a Lexicon PCM91 and a ton of analog effects boxes for that. I am thinking that it might be helpful to seperate the voices upon output from Giga to multiple lines, so that I have control the mix on the other computer.

Regards and Thanks,

Jerry

I own mixtreme by Soundscape. It is multiclient and extremely versatile. I don't know much about running multiple machines but...be aware of the myriad of different standards/methods/devices to do this. SPDIF,TDIF,Lightpipe et al. The SS card has something called Tascam DigitalInterface (TDIF). If you are building from scratch a system, I would stay away from non Intel processors the vast majority of people use PIII with a 440 bx chipset. The more I studied the various options the more I began to look for the broadest compatibility choices. I'm sure you know about mac/pc....but also theres ASIO/DirectX or DSP on the card, gigas peculilar standard GSIF....multiclient...etc etc...SCSI/IDE...then theres midi and all that......When I put together my machine I studied the components of all the Turnkey companies but really I used the spec of the Digi 001 because at the time it seemed like the most finicky piece of stuff out there....its not...the prize has to go to the Giga Studio for most crashes bugs and general weirdness....But when you hear the Giga Piano its all worth it. Buenas suerte' amigo

Thanks, Kennedy

I'll be sure to stick with PIII w/440 bx chipset. Also thanks for explaining what the hell TDIF meant. I might run some more by you, as this classic folktale unfolds-- that was exactly the kind of heads up info I am yearning for!

Rgds,
Jerry

Soundcards

Go here to find soundcards Nemesys recommends:http://www.nemesystech.com/gsampler.html

Thanks a bunch, tdukex: I already printed out their soundcard recommendation list-- it's good, but I really want the inside scoop.

However, I did go back to the URL you mentioned and checked out the Nemesys FAQ which I think has a little more of what I need.

I was also on the Northernsounds Giga message board (clearly I have no life, as we know it), and found my head swivelling on all the conflicting crap in there, so I posted a very long-winded suggestion that they include a hardware-software survey/ rating system as part of their user profile to make it easier for members to identify working systems, and better utilize the collective expertise of the board.

Anyway, I'm sure they hate me now, but I just don't feel like buying a bunch of the wrong equipment, or wasting my oh so precious time or paying an expert a wad of cash to do what I should be able to do myself.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Rgrds,
Jerry

Back