Reliable Audio Interface for use with Windows 10

jrbilodeau

Hi,

I'm looking to get started with doing some recording at home and have been looking at some USB audio interfaces but have a few questions that i'm hoping the folks on this forum may be able to help with.

I've been looking at the following 4 USB audio interfaces and was looking for some recommendations

Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD
PreSonus Studio 1810
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
Steinberg UR44

My local music store originally recommended me to get the Focusrite Scarlett, but I've bee a bit hesitant because I've read that a number of people have had driver issues.
I've read some people say that the 1st Gen model and drivers where more reliable, and others saying to go for 2nd Gen because the 1 Gen drivers haven't been updated in several years.

So with respect to recording, i'll mainly be using it for guitar and vocals, but wanted a few additional input, in case of use with stereo micing, or recording with a friend.
I also like the idea of having midi in and out, to play around with keyboard.

Other than Audacity i haven't really used any DAW's, so i'm not particularly tied to any specific one, but was wondering... do they all basically just come with Free lite versions that can be downloaded from the website, or is there any really value in the bundled software that comes with these

I guess really for me the main thing i'm looking for with these is Windows 10 driver stability and low latency

If you have other any recommendations feel free to add them.

In the Scarlett range, I'd certainly get a v2 model though I am pretty sure you can download and install their latest driver for use on any v1 model. It's just not included in the last released software bundle for v1. From everything I've read, the differences between v1 and v2 are actually pretty small, though the change in the taper on the gain pot is the most noticeable at the user end.

I think your criteria list of multiple mic pres and MIDI are good. Myself, I also like having dual headphone outputs for those cases where it's just you and a friend recording, too, since it saves the need for an external headphone amp with multiple outs.

It's hard to not start one of those minor "religious" wars when talking about operating systems and interfaces, but Windows 10 and stability seem to be a recurring theme, if not an oxymoron.

And, we all have our built-in biases to some extent, since we like to recommend what we've spent our own money on :). (But a corollary, at least for me, is that I try to avoid strong recommendations for anything I've not owned or worked with at a friend's!) Since I no longer have a Windows 10 system, and my own Focusrite goes back to the Saffire generation (same pres as Scarlett), I'll have to wish you good luck, but don't rule out Focusrite if it has the features you want!

If you want REAL future proofing/reliability Funky Junk have a used RME Fireface UC for £655 +vat.

Total overkill for connectivity I know but OOOO! I'd like one!

I have read good things about the Behringers but also a few driver/latency issues and if ANYONE is going to leave you holding the baby when (not if!) Win10 does its next jump into hyperspace and craps out your drivers, who is the LEAST likely to help? (I have a BCA 2000 in the loft. ***t drivers and none for W7 even and even ***tier reliability. Bellringers just dropped it, and ALL those that bought one)

Tascam multitrackers have always had a good name since the US 16-08.

Dave.

Yeah my goal is definitely not to start a battle of which Audio Interface is the better or sounds better. I get that everyone has their own preferences.
I guess i'm just looking to find out which one have good driver support from the manufacturer so that I don't spend my money on something that is likely to cause issue with windows 10.

Other than that do you guys find good value with the bundled software of is it mainly just feebies that I could download myself?
For example the behringer is less expensive and come with Audacity instead of something like protools or ableton live, but if most audio interfaces that are pricier just bundle free lite versions of these DAW's that I can download for free myself to use with the behringer...it's not something that warrants the higher price tag, right?

...but ultimately the goal is for me to find out what are some reliable options for use on windows 10.

Yeah my goal is definitely not to start a battle of which Audio Interface is the better or sounds better. I get that everyone has their own preferences.
I guess i'm just looking to find out which one have good driver support from the manufacturer so that I don't spend my money on something that is likely to cause issue with windows 10.

Other than that do you guys find good value with the bundled software of is it mainly just feebies that I could download myself?
For example the behringer is less expensive and come with Audacity instead of something like protools or ableton live, but if most audio interfaces that are pricier just bundle free lite versions of these DAW's that I can download for free myself to use with the behringer...it's not something that warrants the higher price tag, right?

...but ultimately the goal is for me to find out what are some reliable options for use on windows 10.

Cannot speak for other AIs but my Native Instruments KA6 came with a "lite" version of Cubase. Limited yes but very, very usable and useful (though I am wedded to Samplitude!). If the Cubase version suits there is a discounted upgrade path. Cubase is excellent if MIDI is on the cards.

There is a trend I think for some AI mnfctrs not to bundle software these days? Ten years ago there was very little in the way of a free DAW. Audacity might have been around but then it is not a "proper" DAW and Bellringers are not really giving you anything!

These days, as you say, there are lots of good freebies and "guilt ware" like Reaper.

Dave.

Best Value and will serve you well is the Behringer interface...Go to Sweetwater and Guitar center read the reviews....it's a no brainer best value ... Really hard to justify spending more when these are available....and just work

I up'd the ante myself and splurged on the XR18 ...blown away AND it can be used as mixer for live events! LOL most people buy it for the digital mixer and say AND if you want you can record 18 tracks to your daw!

If you want good drivers and good support then go for RME. They're not the cheapest but they have an exemplary track record and you are unlikely to need to upgrade in the future.

I've just bought myself a Zoom U44 which seems to work OK in Windows 10. It doesn't reach RME's level of performance but it is fine for a handy non-critical interface and the price is extremely good at the moment.

Ive used the 2x2 version of most of those interfaces in windows 10. Out of all of them that I've used so far, the Roland Rubix is actually my favorite. Fast and stable drivers, solid build and good preamps.

Actually they all have good preamps, but focusrite and Steinberg have both struggled with leaving enough headroom on their inputs. Focusrite has struggled to get their drivers right, and apparently Roland has struggled in letting the world know that the Rubix series exists.

You can't really go wrong with any of them, the race is really neck and neck between all of the major players in this price range. None of them suck outright, but there are degrees of separation amongst the bunch.

focusrite and Steinberg have both struggled with leaving enough headroom on their inputs.

Focusrite have a habit of getting their gain ranges wrong, then correcting them only to get it wrong again on a later model. I believe that the first 2i2 was too sensitive but they corrected the problem with the next generation.

I have the Scarlett 18i8. Went to GC looking for a new recording interface that would be a bit easier to configure with my iMac. I've had various Presonus pieces over the years and it has always sent me running to my stand alone recorders. The GC salesperson told me to try the FocusRite Scarlett 18i8. I hesitantly bought it with the intention of returning it when it started giving me problems. That was 1 year ago. This thing is rock steady, not one problem. I keep it hooked up to my iMac. It never drops out, never have to fix driver issues. Love this thing. I've even used it as a stand alone mixer. I've used it with my iPad and with my iPhone. My youtube.com/daerney channel is recording/equipment experiments/use and I have several videos about recording equipment. What I've tried, what works, what doesn't. I love the 18i8 and I've never regretted the purchase. I use it with Logic Pro X, Audacity, Studio One without problems.
Here are a few of the video's I've done with the 18i8 that may help you out.
YouTube
YouTube

Back