Reinstalling win XP

A1A2

hi, guys:

I am running XP home right now, and I want to remove it in order to install XP Pro. I remember hearing something about not having to reformatt the HD and without going into dos mode. If that's so, can someone tell me how to remove the Home version and put in the Pro versio???

Thank you

AL

I recommend a reformat to get rid of any unwanted garbage that has piled up that you may not be aware of. Its easy to do. Just keep in mind that if you do, change your boot sequence to CD rom drive first because XP boots from CD not floppy.
Its much better to start with a clean install.

hey, Stealthtech, that's a very very good point!

Now, how do I reformat?? I remember hitting one of the funtion keys to enter this mode, but...what was it??

Thanks for the quick replies

AL

I agree as well, even if you have home XP. Just drop in the CD with XP Pro and it will take you through the installation basics.

When it re-boots it'll ask if you want to have a fresh install and erase the previous C:\windows directory or repair the previous install, just delete the old one and start fresh.

This install will totally be clean with nothing else but the operating system so be prepared to get drivers and to install all of your system hardware. It's really not too bad though, as long as you have internt access or the drivers backed up, it shouldn't be hard just make sure you know all of your system hardware.... good luck

shawn

Installing XP

Wait a minute! Do you mean that I don't have to do a C:\ format command from the DOS prompt to reformat my drive if I am installing XP Pro? I don't have to make a boot diskette or anything?!? I'm looking to move up from 98 to XP and was dreading the reformatting process and all. Is it really that easy or did I miss something?

Yes it's really that easy. As long as your cd-rom is capable of booting CD's - more than likely it is. Also, you may have to go into BIOS and change the boot sequence.

THANK YOU, kevellus!!

MikeA: From what I remember, only XP os allows you to do it without going into dos mode. But, what do i know.

AL

A1A2 said:
THANK YOU, kevellus!!

MikeA: From what I remember, only XP os allows you to do it without going into dos mode. But, what do i know.

AL

XP is an NT based OS - there is no DOS mode anymore. All disk managment functions are accessible from within the OS itself as well as when you run a CD based installation.

format from setup

you may have been referring to one of my posts about not having to leave windows to format, BUT on that post I was talking about a seconary drive and NOT about your primary partition (it won't let you format the partition you are running your operating system on within that operating system!) If you have a newer computer you should be able to boot from the CD, from within the XP setup you will go through the steps of setting up and partitioning/formatting your hard drive for installation of XP pro. IF, however, you cannot boot from a cd you will have to download a program from microsoft that will create 6, thats right 6 boot disks you will have to put in for it to run the initial setup and access the cd rom drive for copying files.

dlv

Thanks all, my XP is up and running now. Did some tweaking(thanks to a member here)

muskgrave" really appreciate your info :)

AL

XP

Well it is an older machine the older "family" machine (400 MHz) but I do know that I can change the boot sequence to boot from the CD first so I guess I 'll be OK. I've only got the one 8 GB hard drive right now though and I don't want to repartition, just install a new OS. I should be OK to do that right Muskgrave? Thanks guys, this is GREAT news. I've only fooled with XP on the Mom in law's new PC and it was preinstalled so I didn't have to do anything.

Mike, you said you had XP home and in another reply you were upgrading from win98......which is it ?
Try putting in the XP CD and see if it will install over your old OS as kevellus stated. If so, then it will be a piece of cake.

should be OK

MikeA,
Yes, you should have no problem getting WinXP Pro on your machine, booting from the cd just makes the first part of setup go by much more quickly. Now are you saying that you want to install a new OS but keep everything that is currently on the computer? Or did you just mean you want to install it on the 8gb drive without creating any partitions? If you want to keep your data you'll have to tell winxp in setup that you don't want to format but want it to install winxp on the same drive as whatever your current os is and dual boot. Otherwise you can format the drive and install on a clean slate...hope that helps. If it were me, I would just back up all my personal files/setup files, wipe the hard drive and start out so fresh and so cleen cleen. forgive me if any of this is confusing..it's late and i'm getting sleeeepy....veeeeeery sleeeeepy....
dlv

XP

No, I do want to reformat completely and start over from scratch. And, I don't need any partitions for this drive. I was just unfamiliar with the capabilities of Win XP in this area. Thanks again for your patience. I'll go away now and play. (rides off into the sunset.)

Stealtech

Sorry to be confusing. I've got 98 on my old clunker but I was able to talk the Mom in law into getting a new Dell with XP on it. Of course I had to set up email and all her personal programs, etc.

Back