reinstalling OS

sameaslune

Hello there,

I just bought a second hard drive (60 gig IBM 7200 rpm) and I have to reinstall everything on my computer. Is it best to install OS and all non-audio apps on one drive and all audio apps and souns on the other drive? I did a search on the forum but there's just too many unrelated threads to read.
Any advice?

If you bought a second hard drive just to add more space then you don't necessarily need to reinstall the operating system - unless it's needed to for other reasons.

I prefer the following setup:

Drive 1 - Operating system, all applications.
Drive 2 -Audio data (wav files, samples etc).

Depending what recording software you use, all that is required is that you 'point' it to the hard drive you are using for audio data. Also, to keep things organized on the audio drive, have seperate folders for each song. Again, depending on the software you may need to create these folders first, i.e. song1 , then launch your software, then point the song/project to song1 directory on your audio data drive. Or, launch the software, create the new folder etc.

I also agree with keeping Apps and OS on one drive and data on the other drive. Another good reason for this is if you have to reinstall your OS, you don't have to worry about your data being lost. I did this twice so far and my data was untouched, I only had to reinstall the OS and all my applications. If you only have one drive, partition it into 2 logical partitions.
Good luck!

PS - I have a folder on my data drive called web_apps so when I reinstall my C:\ drive I have all the stuff I downloaded off the Net ready to go (such as Winzip, Waves(which I paid for and registered, just downloaded updated versions), N-Track, etc...)

thanks a lot for infos!

It will be usefull as it's the first time I'm doing this kind of operation... wish me luck!

Back