Registry edit

cellardweller

Hmm, can anyone give me an example of a common 16 bit program?
Anyone had any experiences with this registry edit?

Eldergeek website said:
Files that use the 8.3 naming convention can degrade NTFS drive performance. Unless you have a good reason for keeping the 8.3 naming convention intact such as using 16 bit programs, a performance gain can be achieved by disabling the function.

I believe 16-bit programs were popular prior to Windows 95. Ever since then most software is at least 32-bit.

Old DOS programs, and BASIC programs were usually 16-bit.

Personally, I've never heard of any performance gains by doing that, I could be wrong, but I doubt they would be noticeable.

Probably not worth messing with the registry for.

That's just my opinion.

cellardweller said:
Which is exactly why I feel the need to tempt fate!

Go for it then. :p

I doubt it would cause problems but you never know. I also doubt it will increase performance to the point that it would merit messing with the registry.

It's up to you though. Might want to do a system restore checkpoint or something beforehand...

If you decide to do it let us know how it works out. :)

There was still some 16 bit code used in Windows 95 & 98. It was not until Windows NT4 / 2000 / XP that it was totally ditched.

But NTFS is the file system, not code. They are just refering to file names structure. I have to say I have never heard of gaining NTFS disk performance by "disableing the 8.3 nameing convention".

Yeah, it doesn't seem like that would provide a noticeable speed gain, if any. It's probably a few lines of code simply checking if a filename is within constraints. I'm all up for screwing with the registry, but this doesn't seem like a necessary effort.

timthetortoise said:
Yeah, it doesn't seem like that would provide a noticeable speed gain, if any. It's probably a few lines of code simply checking if a filename is within constraints. I'm all up for screwing with the registry, but this doesn't seem like a necessary effort.
Got any worthwhile registry edits? :rolleyes: ;) :D

I'm slightly addicted to tweaking my computer, and have run out of services to disable!

Sigh. For the 8.3 naming convention, it's HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
Create a DWORD called NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation and set value to 0 for enabled, 1 for disabled. See if you can tell a difference!

Oh, and this may cause problems with some programs - even ones that aren't 16 bit. Some .msi installers still rely on this.

For all your registry editing needs

Back