"Refurbished" computers?

Over my head as well Mike! But AFAIK of you take say latency? Each time you drop the buffer size the processor has to work harder. Seems reasonable to assume that the more powerful the CPU, the lower can be the buffer size.
No doubt other processes benefit as well. (there is a good discussion about this on SoS forum conducted by the mighty Pete of Scan fame)

Dave.

Yeah, big +1.
Unless you're doing something really modest and unimportant, don't buy into core2 duo. Ot's very old technology now.

With the mix of ages and technologies, it's not safe to compare processor speed and assume it means something.
You could probably clock that e8400 to 4ghz on water but it's still going to be old technology.

Sorry to punt it YET again! But SoS are doing a CPU shootout next month.

I am NOT on the payroll..Honest!

Dave.

Ok, a little over my head. ;) As long as I don't have any 'wait while I process' issues, not sure how a better processor really helps me. Does that mean when I render a, say, 20 track project it takes 15 seconds instead of 30 seconds? Or processing/converting a video happens faster? That's nothing I really need (need vs want, something I'm always trying to explain to my wife!)

The difference between the i5-2400 and the core duos is significant enough you'll notice. And yes, latency and cpu processing power do overlap (although it's more to do with the motherboard/abilities and speed of the chipset than just the CPU). For very very basic multitrack work the core duo would suffice, but as soon as you add any real time rendering/VSTs you will hit the duo's ceiling quick. It's just how the numbers work. Duos are very outdated, and by today's standards SLOW. They're fine for casual web browsing and word processing, for but for modern and advanced tasks you need more. The i5 at least gets you into the same room as what you would ideally need.

The difference between the i5-2400 and the core duos is significant enough you'll notice. And yes, latency and cpu processing power do overlap (although it's more to do with the motherboard/abilities and speed of the chipset than just the CPU). For very very basic multitrack work the core duo would suffice, but as soon as you add any real time rendering/VSTs you will hit the duo's ceiling quick. It's just how the numbers work. Duos are very outdated, and by today's standards SLOW. They're fine for casual web browsing and word processing, for but for modern and advanced tasks you need more. The i5 at least gets you into the same room as what you would ideally need.

+1 again.
I mean, I'm sure someone not too far behind me is doing miraculous things with less <sigh>
but without exaggeration, if you sneaked a PC out of the local dump, the chances are it'd be c2d.

On my current 6-year old HP, my latency is showing as 11milliseconds. Seems ok to me - I only use direct monitor, except when doing MIDI tracks. I seldom have more than 20 tracks, and only record (at most) 3 tracks at one time - but usually just 1 or 2.

On my current 6-year old HP, my latency is showing as 11milliseconds. Seems ok to me - I only use direct monitor, except when doing MIDI tracks. I seldom have more than 20 tracks, and only record (at most) 3 tracks at one time - but usually just 1 or 2.

That's about where I start to notice.

Are you trying to convince yourself that the Duo will suffice? It will, until it doesn't. Then you'll think back on this thread and wonder why you didn't get the i5.

If your needs are minimal and a core2duo system will suffice then that's cool, but don't let some joker sell you a refurbed one like they're worth something.
You could probably get a decent c2d machine for free just buy asking around.

I have an e6700 box sitting here gathering dust. Maybe I'll setup a home-studio B. ;)

I have a core2 in my laptop, for pure tracking, it works fine even for 16 tracks live, but I wouldn't try much else with it. I don't monitor, just record and only thing I worry about are drops. That doesn't seem to be a problem.

Anyone with any experience with them? When I compare the cost of getting another hard drive duplicated from my existing one (and no guarantee that's going to help anything if the files themselves are corrupt), I can get a refurbished HP with better specs (3.0 or 3.1 G speed, 8G RAM, 2T hard drive, Win 10 installed of course) for less money.

Hey MJB....Going a step back

Cost of duplication and restoration is roughly equal to getting a new machine but if you get a new machine all the convenience of cloning goes out the window as you'd have to start from a fresh install.
So...Why not start from fresh install on a new drive with the machine you have?

I don't know if you are anywhere near a MicroCenter, but they have stacks and stacks of refurbished, high quality, off-lease corporate desktops. I've purchased a few over the years, and recommended them to others. Everything they sell has a legit copy of Windows, has been inspected, cleaned and re-boxed. Great stuff, really inexpensive. If you are switching computers I think it makes sense to get yourself some breathing room. Collect some spare change from the couch and figure out a way to get an i5 or higher.

You can check out the site to give you some pricing examples. Unfortunately refurb sales are in store only.

Refurbished : Computers : Micro Center

I don't know if you are anywhere near a MicroCenter, but they have stacks and stacks of refurbished, high quality, off-lease corporate desktops. I've purchased a few over the years, and recommended them to others. Everything they sell has a legit copy of Windows, has been inspected, cleaned and re-boxed. Great stuff, really inexpensive. If you are switching computers I think it makes sense to get yourself some breathing room. Collect some spare change from the couch and figure out a way to get an i5 or higher.

You can check out the site to give you some pricing examples. Unfortunately refurb sales are in store only.

Refurbished : Computers : Micro Center

That may be my next route for my office PC. Thanks chuckduffy for the link!

Many an i5 or i7 there. Not sure I would place my income based studio on a second hand PC, but the price is right and I think it would be an option for MJB and his budget.

I must say that for myself when recording others I would not feel comfortable using second hand PC when others tracks are involved. I don't think MJB is doing that, but then....

I learned my lesson long ago in regards to losing files and PC ability. Overkill is what I have now...

Checkdisk ran again on the (old) computer this morning and fixed a bunch of files it hadn't done before (not sure how that is possible unless files continue to get corrupted by something). Haven't had any issues with this computer now for a few days (knock wood, cross fingers). Backed up all my latest files today, including Reaper files, as I've been tweaking all the tunes for my next album.

Got the refurb last Wednesday, let it run for 72+ hours as a burn-in test, seemed ok, plugged it into the net and did the Win10 updates (that took overnight). My KVM switch should be hear by Tuesday, at that point I'll get the new one hooked up permanently, and it will be my internet/photo/video computer, and the old one will be strictly for recording. One thing I have to say about the HPs - old one and the new one - they run silent as anything, the fan noise is unnoticeable.

Got all my files moved over to THIS new computer - close to 50000 separate files, including all video, photo, Word and Reaper files, still have 1.3 TB free. Of course running WIn10, and I immediately find out that the super-easy/limited photo editor I used (MS Picture It 99) only partially runs in XP-compatable mode - it won't open any raw files, only the ones that have been opened and resaved. But this could also be something to do with the Sony camera software, which gave me an error message this morning. One thing I've noticed is the front USB ports are really show, so I need to plug some calbes intothe rear ports and leave them accessible for plugging in external devices when needed.
Meanwhile, the old computer has been running faultless since the last of the cleaning and malware scanning. :rolleyes: It'll be good to keep it for music only though, less issues to thing about.
The KVM switch I got is physical only - wired - no keyboard shortcut, but that makes it easy to use. Now I've just got to figure out how to squeeze the extra tower into my desk set up.

How are the front USB ports "just show" Mike?
Older PC's had 1.1 ports on the front but I would expect 2.0 these days.

If they are indeed just dummies that is a bit shit of them but you will almost certainly have some 2.0 headers you can use to give operational front USB. Might even be a 3.0 header? Handy for a dump drive!

Mind you, I usually break my front USBs! Swipe a stick with knee.

Dave.

Dave, you remind me of a mad scientist - great ideas and depth of knowledge, but overlooks basic things like proximity of body in relation to the world around them, the direction in which the toilet paper comes off the roller, etc. :D

How are the front USB ports "just show" Mike?
Older PC's had 1.1 ports on the front but I would expect 2.0 these days.

If they are indeed just dummies that is a bit shit of them but you will almost certainly have some 2.0 headers you can use to give operational front USB. Might even be a 3.0 header? Handy for a dump drive!

Dave.

Sorry, Dave - mis-type. Should have been 'SLOW' . I plugged a couple of cables into the back ports so that I can use them without having to slide the whole thing forward each time.

Back