Recording Wave/Audio files

I'm new to recording vocals on the computer, so which is the best way: I have soundblaster 16 -- now should I go IN/OUT of the soundcard into my mixer and just record from my Mic that way or, Sing directly into the IN of the sound card then have the OUT going into the mixer, will this get me my wave file (vocal)

Also, I'm trying to synch my Wavelab 3.0 and Cubase together, firstly I cant record any waves (hence my situation above) and 2ndly they should work together because they are both by STEINBERG, and one last thing
Is there a way to convert MIDI into WAVES or AIFF files, moreso WAVE files.

I'm getting overwhelmed, I have SoundBlaster (audio card)
Wavelab 3.0 Mastering, and cant quite figure out how to work this all together to get vocals, RECORDING TRACKS is all good and fine,and I know that I can record straight to my ADATS, but it's tedius and I want to get more usage out of my computer, especially for stacking and placing choruses any help or advice will be well appreciated.

That first paragraph tells me you're spinning hard with all this stuff. The .wav file is created by the A/D converters in your SB from the analog signal fed to it. Sending it back out to the mixer is for monitoring purposes or to record it on another medium or to add effects. The mic is gonna require a preamp and the mic pre in the SB is garbage.

Depending on what mixer you have, you're probably better off tracking on the ADAT and then dumping it to computer 2 tracks at a time. What a pain in the ass though! For more convenience use the mixer to mix down to two tracks and send the main outs to the line in of the soundblaster.

The conversion of MIDI to .wav files is merely the process of playing a MIDI file on a synthesizer and routing the audio output of the synth back to the SB like any other analog signal source.

I think the main problem here is that you dropped a grand on the ADAT yet stopped at a $30 sound card. Both the converters and the physical connections will be much improved with a $300 sound card. This is important to not degrade the signal you have up to that point.

Always consider the entire chain before you add another link. Weakest link logic applies. No matter how sweet the signal at the start of the chain is, sending it through one noisy component can ruin the whole thing.

Back