Recording Vocals through a Processor

LeevisPresley

Hi all
My current set up for guitar is a POD X3 Live which is pretty cool for recording as it has USB output and i can record direct.
This processor has vocals on it too but they sound a bit rubbish to me so i was thinking out purchasing a BOSS VE-20 for my vocals.
The problem is that it only has XLR out and no USB.
How would i get this to work. I can buy an XLR to 3.5mm lead as my laptop has 3.5mm Line In but not too sure how this would sound. Does anyone else record using this method?
Alternatively i could buy a USB machine thing (dont know what they are called) and use that but i would rather not if i could go direct from the BOSS unit to the PC using the line in
Any advice?
Lee

The usb machine thing you seek is called an audio interface.

I'm sure a lot of people recorded to the 3.5mm input on their pc at some point, but it doesn't take long to outgrow that.
They're not designed for hi quality recording to be honest.

You could skip out buying hardware effects and just get an interface with a mic preamp, like presonus firestudio mobile or something.
This way you could apply effects in the computer and not be committed to them.

If you still want to go the boss effects route, you'd need an interface with two line inputs (for stereo effects).
I think echo make some. Have a google :)

Yeah i think that the audio interface is the way to go here
Any recommendations that are resonably priced and usb (i dont have firewire on my laptop)
Lee

I have not considered re-amping which is kind of what you are suggesting here i think. With the X3Live i can (i think) send untouched and effect heavy (as you here) versions of the guitar to the recorder and then re-amp or add effects etc to the mix.
I prefer to get the sound i want and then record as it is, with that in mind i think the Boss solution is a reasonable one (i cant see anything in the price range similar). Also, i can use it live.
Still looking for a decently priced USB audio interface though.

Looks like i can use the X3 as the interface, i can use the tuner button to remove all effects and use the USB on that one :) nice

Lee

Back