Recording Vocals-CLIPPING

brigo

User
Hello All.
Here's my setup:
-Pentium III 700, 256MB memory
-SoundBlaster PCI 16
-Rolls MP13 Mini-MIc Microphone PreAMP.
-RODE NT3 Condensor Microphone, using 9Volt Battery, NOT phantom power. (mic pre produces only 36v phantom power, mic needs 48).
-CakeWalk HomeStudio 2002

I am new to PC recording.
I am having difficulty adjusting the levels for vocal recording. I adjust the the Creative Labs Recorder software for the recording levels and the mic pre gain is midway, around 25db.

The problem is that any loud vocals result in clipping, and the sound is somewhat distorted. If I adjust the levels so that the loudest vocals reach just into the "red" zone on the HomeStudio meter, but without clipping, most of the vocal track sounds a bit soft.
It doesn't sound so soft that you might think that the pre-amp isn't functioning - the sound is present and real, just not full.

This is especially a problem mixing with the instumental tracks. They are all MIDI. If I get the levels so that the vocals don't clip, the MIDI tracks need to have a volume of 64 or lower. To my ears, it all sounds too soft.

Maybe this is normal? Maybe the playback volume needs to just be louder? Maybe I am a newbie??? :-)

Any advice or comments?

Thank you!

Working the mic.

Hmmmm...

The least expensive and probably the best way to fix this is to do what is called "working the mic." That is, set your levels for the quiter parts of the vocal track and lean away from the mic as your voice gets louder. Lean back in for the quite parts. It takes some practice to get down, but its well worth the effort. I practice by singing and watching the meters as I move in and out from the mic.

That way you get all the fullness during the softer parts and all the fullness of a loudly delivered passage- without clipping.

Have fun!
Chris

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, by the way, Brigo!

:raises glass of dark, frothy liquid:

"Here's to a long and fruitful stay at Home.rec.com!"

:clink:

:D

Chris

Back