Recording vocal with plugin effects.

Kraddo

Hi guys, this forum is full of useful informations, but i couldn't find a way to solve mine :)

I own a Tascam 322 (2 in/ 1 out L/R). I'd like to be able to record my own voice in a daw (i use cubase and studio one).

Problem is, everytime i try to record in the daw,and monitor what i'm doing using headphones or speakers, the voice i hear is "doubled",because i can hear the "output" of the daw, and the input of my voice at the same time. I can clearly use insert effects with no latency at all, so there's no delay between input and output,but clearly,there's something wrong with "input settings" since i hear a "doubled" voice.

When i "listen" to what i recorded, eveything sounds awesome. The voice is clear, the inserts are there and i can edit them or remove them if i don't like them.
When i "record", my voice is doubled.
I checked the settings, changed a lot of things trying to solve the issue but i couldn't make it.

The "setting" i use is the common one (i hope): Input: Mono L. Output: L+R.

Is anyone here who record his own voice using plugins effects like reverb/compression and similar and not having this "double voice" during the monitoring?
Glad if you can help me :)

That said, monitoring with compression tends to encourage bad mic technique. I would avoid that. Reverbs and other time based effects can actually help if they are not overdone.

Mute the Tascam's input monitoring function.

Thank you so much for your answer :) I'd love to do that, but i actually don't know how to do that :( any hints? The Tascam soundcard has a software mixer, i muted all the inputs the tascam has. Still, i can clearly hear my own voice being doubled.

Can i solve this using "bus" or "sends" in the program? Still, i m worried about the only line output the tascam has :/

It's got to be something with the Tascam's DSP mixer. Apparently it has its own effects as well as input monitoring. I'd look more into that, but I can't help with specifics.

Turn the 'Mon Mix' knob to Computer on the Tascam if you are monitoring from Cubase

Hopefully your computer is able to give you low latency for recording. See how low you can go with the buffer/latency setting before your PC gives out.

Yeah, turn the mix knob to Computer. I shouldn't have assumed that the DSP was there instead of a simple knob. Apparently it as both.

The button that brings up the DSP is pretty cool.

Turn the 'Mon Mix' knob to Computer on the Tascam if you are monitoring from Cubase

Hopefully your computer is able to give you low latency for recording. See how low you can go with the buffer/latency setting before your PC gives out.

Tried to do as you said :) But, once i estabilished the lineout as "computer 1/2", the "Mon Mix" knob ceases to respond, and it's like i'm monitoring directly from the daw. Still i can hear a doubled voice (input plus output)

If i estabilish the Lineout as "Mixer 1/2", the "Mon Mix" knobs works. If i bring it to the left (input) i can hear a clear voice, since i'm basically listening only to the "input" of my soundcard. This said i can't listen to the cubase stuff, and i can't basically add FX live reverbs since they are computer generated.
If i bring the Mon Mix knob to the right (computer) i can hear the voice+effect PLUS input.

Basically,there's no latency,my pc is powerful,but there's just a doubled voice "Input+Voiceoutput", and i 'd like to be able to hear just the Voice Output with reverb :/

Tried to do as you said :) But, once i estabilished the lineout as "computer 1/2", the "Mon Mix" knob ceases to respond, and it's like i'm monitoring directly from the daw. Still i can hear a doubled voice (input plus output)

If i estabilish the Lineout as "Mixer 1/2", the "Mon Mix" knobs works. If i bring it to the left (input) i can hear a clear voice, since i'm basically listening only to the "input" of my soundcard. This said i can't listen to the cubase stuff, and i can't basically add FX live reverbs since they are computer generated.
If i bring the Mon Mix knob to the right (computer) i can hear the voice+effect PLUS input.

That brings me back to thinking it's something in the Tascam DSP that's passing a lower latency signal to the output of the interface.

Basically,there's no latency,my pc is powerful,but there's just a doubled voice "Input+Voiceoutput", and i 'd like to be able to hear just the Voice Output with reverb :/

If there were no latency you would not hear it as doubled. It's simply impossible for audio to be converted from analog to digital and back to analog in zero time, not even counting the time it takes to run any DSP. One way or another you are hearing your voice take two paths with different amounts of latency, and the most logical conclusion is that the more direct path (presumably the Tascam's input monitoring) takes less time than the less direct path (through the DAW).

I see. :)

Did some research, and it seems the only way to avoid this "problem" is to use the classic "create mono track, use a send to a Fx,wet signal, and monitor that in pre fader" :) Quite useful.

Not exactly the result i hoped to achieve, but better than nothing :) hope the singers i work with won't compain :D

Thank you so much for your help. Love this forum already :guitar:

Not buying it. There's something wrong with the Tascam or your procedure if you aren't able to mute the hardware input monitoring.

Back