Recording Tones

taintedeity

Im recording a song I made up

http://www.pahardcore.com/bands/scapegrace

The on there called Come and Gone... as it sounds fine its still not how I like it. Im trying to re-record it with better quality. Im using the Line6 POD for my guitar... my problem seems to be that the distortion is either (a) too much trebel sound even with the low ends turned all the way up its too scratchy. (b) the better sounding distortions, the ones with a lot of balls, are too low you cant hear them or theyre way too loud and make the speakers crackle.

yeah i know what you mean...i spent ages trying to find the right settings for distorion...and i mic my amp with two mics so you throw having to place those into the mix and it tough getting the tone your looking for....if the problems is that they are so loud that the speakers crackle why cant you just turn all the knobs down proportionatly to maintain tone?

Elmo89m said:
yeah i know what you mean...i spent ages trying to find the right settings for distorion...and i mic my amp with two mics so you throw having to place those into the mix and it tough getting the tone your looking for....if the problems is that they are so loud that the speakers crackle why cant you just turn all the knobs down proportionatly to maintain tone?
Well you see, the POD has about 10 different amp tones.. some of them better than others. Usually Im looking for a good ballsy tone with a real punchy crisp sound to it but the louder tones are usually just too loud they overpower or if I turn down theyre too quiet and dont have enough punch. Theres no middle.. the ones I use are usually blues tones or light distortion which works well for rhythm guitar, they usually record sounding heavier than they really are. Its not good for leads tho when I need the notes to sound out longer.

Ive experimented with micing my amp.. I even did 2 mics before like you said. I believe I read somewhere that professional studios do it with 3 mics, one against the amp one about 3ft away and one about 8ft away and raised up about 5 ft. It sounded real good despite the fact that I dont have the equipment to do it properly. My problem with that was too many ways to mess it up. If I get the right sound then change something Im likely to have lost that sound forever lol. - I do use my PC for other things so tearing down my equipment is common. Im also battling a lot of background noises where I live.

I read another thread here about someone who posted something about recording and using their sound card to distort their guitar which is a neat idea... I never knew I could do that until I started experimenting with it today. I think Ill start messing with that now to see if I can get the right tone and volume Im looking for.

Back