Recording streaming audio directly to MP3

johanm

Hi,

I'd like to record some streaming audio (in Real format) from the Net to computer directly to MP3 format -- I don't want to record to WAV format and then convert that to MP3 format because of the memory needed to record WAV files.

I assume that I'll have to tap into the analog output from the soundcard?

Does anyone know if there is software that can do this?

Thanks,

Johan

i presume jon wants to either use that as a method of compression to save space or perhaps keep them in that format for playback with something like winamp... but really i thought most music on the net now was already in mp3... if its not then i would probly find a site with that song already encoded....

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no way to 'record' and mp3, mp3 is encoded audio files.

Unless you're really short of memory, you should have no trouble recording a .wav.

Maybe you mean storage space? But a 4min .wav will still only take up about 4 megs - not much harddrive space.

I'd recommend recording then encoding then deleting the original wav.

You aren't using windows sound recorder, are you?

Good luck,

matt

checK: http://www.mp3.com/carolynn

Yes, I am trying to save space on the hard drive. I want to record a couple of hours of streaming media (which could be in Real, Microsoft, etc. formats) from the Web.

Going direct to MP3 would be cool since it only takes one step, would obviously take much less space than WAV format and I can take advantage of multitude of MP3 players/software.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cakey2:
Hi,

As far as I know, there is no way to 'record' and mp3, mp3 is encoded audio files.

Unless you're really short of memory, you should have no trouble recording a .wav.

Maybe you mean storage space? But a 4min .wav will still only take up about 4 megs - not much harddrive space.

I'd recommend recording then encoding then deleting the original wav.

You aren't using windows sound recorder, are you?

Good luck,

matt

checK: http://www.mp3.com/carolynn
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cakey2, you are killing me here! :)

Did you forget the zero on your statement "But a 4min .wav will still only take up about 4 megs - not much harddrive space"? One minute of stereo audio at 16 bit, 44.1 sampling rate equals roughly 10MB. So 4 mins of audio would equal 40MB.

Still, for only 2 hours of audio, that would be around 1.2GB. I would think with storage being as cheap as it is, most could spare a couple gigs of storage for a temporary file! :)

Ed

D'oh!

No, not quite - I'd just already converted to mp3 hahaha! :-).

Wow, two hours!

Er, do you have a CD writer?

matt

Back