Recording a screen capture video with a mic

famous beagle

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured this was as good of a place as any.

As the title says, I want to use a program, such as CamStudio or HyperCam, to record a video of a screen capture while I narrate on top. It seems utterly simple, as you see millions of these on YouTube, but for some reason, I'm having trouble figuring it out.

I've got the video part down fine --- I'm able to record my mouse movements and all that, and it works great. But I have no audio.

I need to do this on my music computer (the one with my DAW and interface and all), and my interface is a Tascam US-1800.

Both of the above-mentioned programs allow me to choose my audio input source between two options:

Use the default device
Use the Tascam US-1800 Line In

I'm on Windows 7, and when I open up my "Recording Devices," this is what I see (attached photo). As you can see, there is no "Microphone" option, as there is on my office computer (see other photo).

I have a Rode VideoMic that's battery powered with an 1/8" input, and I was actually kind of just hoping I could plug that right into the mic input of the computer's soundcard to get something quick and serviceable, but when I tried that, the volume level was extremely low. However, I can't find a way to adjust an input level for the mic jack, because it doesn't show up in Recording Devices.

I can't get anything else other than "Line In" to show up on my Tascam US-1800, and I don't know what that refers to. It has 8 channels of XLR inputs, six 1/4" inputs, and one stereo digital input ... so what would "Line In" mean? I already tried plugging a dynamic mic into XLR channel 1, and that didn't record anything.

Anyone have a clue on this?

Thanks much

Attachments

• Recording devices.jpg
    Recording devices.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Recording devices - office computer.jpg
    Recording devices - office computer.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 9
I have the same problem using OBS. I've never been able to get the damned thing to record audio. So I just record my audio into Reaper, and merge/sync the audio and video in post. I find a couple of windows I can toggle between and toggle them while counting...that gives me something to sync up when it comes time to match up the audio and video.

Oh, that's a shame. I was going to suggest the OP try OBS because it's the only software that I found to be capable of everything I wanted and really simple too.

The only hassle I have is self inflicted. I usually want to record chat audio and game audio separately so I used routing software for that,
and I also need to be able to capture voice from interface input 3 (because 1+2 are mic pres, and I prefer my standalones).
I have to use routing software for that too.

Ignoring all that, I'd expect any software to pick up inputs 1+2 of pretty much any interface.
I wouldn't be surprised if it ignored the rest because that seems really common.

I didn't end up using it but there's software called soundsyphon which provides virtual routing, but can also record from each application independently, whilst passing it all through to your speakers/headphones.
Might be worth a look, although it doesn't seem to be able to highjack DAWs.

I hadn't heard of OBS but just looked at it. It seems to be fully equipped, but I don't think this is a software issue. It seems to be more of a hardware issue (or at least getting the hardware adjusted and/or recognized properly).

I suppose recording the audio separately and then syncing in post is an option, but that seems like a lot of hassle for something that should really be so much simpler.

I mean ... kids do this all the time on YouTube! :)

hey beagle, if your 1/8 mic is low you can click on the device, then hit "properties" and check the level of it there. It might be down.

Also, you'd probably have to turn the Tascam off and plug right into the 1/8" on the computer to use the default onboard sound card. Then you can use audio enhancement like this go get volume up: https://www.itechtics.com/increase-maximum-volume-windows-8/

Those should get you enough volume.

I've never recorded video so I can't help otherwise, but that's how I get the most out of 1/8" mics when I do use them.

P.s. Also make sure it's plugged into the correct 1/8" input.

I suppose recording the audio separately and then syncing in post is an option, but that seems like a lot of hassle for something that should really be so much simpler.

^^^.
I couldn't believe how many suites wouldn't record 'what you hear'.
Seems like a pretty basic requirement.

hey beagle, if your 1/8 mic is low you can click on the device, then hit "properties" and check the level of it there. It might be down.

Also, you'd probably have to turn the Tascam off and plug right into the 1/8" on the computer to use the default onboard sound card. Then you can use audio enhancement like this go get volume up: https://www.itechtics.com/increase-maximum-volume-windows-8/

Those should get you enough volume.

I've never recorded video so I can't help otherwise, but that's how I get the most out of 1/8" mics when I do use them.

P.s. Also make sure it's plugged into the correct 1/8" input.

Hi Nola, thanks for the reply. The problem is that I can't find a level adjustment for the mic input on my computer's soundcard for my music computer. See the screenshots I attached. On my music computer, no microphone input shows up --- just a "line in" for my soundcard and a "line in" for my Tascam interface.

On my office computer, which doesn't have a USB interface, there is a Mic input shown (see screenshot), but not on my music computer.

I haven't tried turning off my Tascam interface yet, so I can try that to see if it changes anything. However, I don't think that will be a long term solution because the videos I'm wanting to make are about recording, and I'll be needing to play back projects in Reaper during them.

Hi Nola, thanks for the reply. The problem is that I can't find a level adjustment for the mic input on my computer's soundcard for my music computer. See the screenshots I attached. On my music computer, no microphone input shows up --- just a "line in" for my soundcard and a "line in" for my Tascam interface.

Right click in the blank area on the "recording" tab. Anywhere in the blank area should be fine. A menu should come up. Click "show disabled devices", then enable the onboard soundcard mic (or just enable all whichever the options are). I'd also turn off the Tascam interface or disable it to make sure the computer is using the right input.

Right click in the blank area on the "recording" tab. Anywhere in the blank area should be fine. A menu should come up. Click "show disabled devices", then enable the onboard soundcard mic (or just enable all whichever the options are). I'd also turn off the Tascam interface or disable it to make sure the computer is using the right input.

Thanks for the tip. I turned off the Tascam (and it disappeared from the list). When I right click and select "Show disabled devices," the only other option that shows up is "Stereo Mix (Realtek)." I looked around in its properties, but there was no microphone option anywhere.

I can confirm that this is definitely some kind of hardware issue and not a software one, though. I tried it on my office computer, plugging my Rode VideoMic directly into the front panel 1/8" input. Since it shows up in my "Recording Devices," I was able to adjust its level. I was able to record a video screen capture with audio from the mic just fine.

However, I haven't yet figured out how to record sounds also played by the computer. In other words, when I play an mp3 file, I only hear it as recorded by my microphone (in the room) --- not directly from the system.

However, I haven't yet figured out how to record sounds also played by the computer. In other words, when I play an mp3 file, I only hear it as recorded by my microphone (in the room) --- not directly from the system.

It sounds like it's using the computer's built in mic instead of the 1/8 mic.

Try this: go into "Device Manager" and then look for anything with yellow or red icons. You can also click on your computer's name at the top of DM and then click "Scan for hardware changes". Maybe windows update or something messes up a driver or hardware setting.

Also check the drivers are all up to date.

I also notice under your recording tab you have 2 default devices. That seems strange. When looking closer, it's the Tascam and the onboard mic. So when you unplug the Tascam, it's now using the onboard mic since it's set as a default. That's why it's recording your mp3 through the room. So what I'd try is removing that onboard mic as a default. I forget how to do that, but you can probably just right click and disable it. Then plug in the 1/8 and see if it works.

Last edited:
It sounds like it's using the computer's built in mic instead of the 1/8 mic.

Try this: go into "Device Manager" and then look for anything with yellow or red icons. You can also click on your computer's name at the top of DM and then click "Scan for hardware changes". Maybe windows update or something messes up a driver or hardware setting.

Also check the drivers are all up to date.

I also notice under your recording tab you have 2 default devices. That seems strange. When looking closer, it's the Tascam and the onboard mic. So when you unplug the Tascam, it's now using the onboard mic since it's set as a default. That's why it's recording your mp3 through the room. So what I'd try is removing that onboard mic as a default. I forget how to do that, but you can probably just right click and disable it. Then plug in the 1/8 and see if it works.

Thanks. I'm fairly certain it's not using the computer's built-in mic because when I talk closer to the Rode VideoMic, I can clearly hear the level (and proximity effect) changing). I tried several tests at first to get a good level, so I noted the way the sound/volume changed as I moved further and closer to the mic.

I checked Device Manager and didn't see any flags (I scanned for hardware changes as well).

I'm confused by the two default devices comment. I think you may be mixing up the screen shots from my two different computers (music and office). In the first screenshot (music computer), there aren't two different default devices; the Tascam is the only one showing Default.

In the second screenshot (office computer), there's a Default Communications device (microphone) and a Default device (rear input).

Gotcha Beagle, I think was looking at the 2nd image.

In the CamStudio/HyperCam software, did you set the audio input (if there's a screen for this) to either the Tascam interface or the 1/8" mic (whichever you are using). It might be using a default driver or input source in that software. Look at the audio settings in that software. I never used that particular software so I can't be specific, but things like Skype require you to select the audio source in the video software.

Gotcha Beagle, I think was looking at the 2nd image.

In the CamStudio/HyperCam software, did you set the audio input (if there's a screen for this) to either the Tascam interface or the 1/8" mic (whichever you are using). It might be using a default driver or input source in that software. Look at the audio settings in that software. I never used that particular software so I can't be specific, but things like Skype require you to select the audio source in the video software.

There are some options in the CamStudio software, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. (This is still my office computer, mind you ... I still haven't been able to get any sound on my music computer, which has the Tascam interface.)

In the software, it has "Audio Options for Microphones" and "Audio Options for Speakers." In the microphone menu, I have "default device" selected, which is my microphone. And it's recording well.

In the speakers menu, there's a "Soundcard Device" pull-down menu to "Select the device that's attached to your speakers." I only have one option here, which is SoundMAX Integrated (my onboard soundcard).

Then below that, though, is "Recording Line." Next to it it says "Undetected." There are buttons for manual search and auto search. When I press Auto Search, I get an error message: "WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed."

When I press Manual Search, I get: "Unable to detect recording line for speakers. Please make sure your soundcard is correctly selected in the 'Soundcard Device' of 'Audio Options for Speakers.' " As I mentioned earlier, my onboard soundcard is my only option in that list, and it is selected.

So I'm kind of at a loss. I might have to bark up another tree.

There are some options in the CamStudio software, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. (This is still my office computer, mind you ... I still haven't been able to get any sound on my music computer, which has the Tascam interface.)

In the software, it has "Audio Options for Microphones" and "Audio Options for Speakers." In the microphone menu, I have "default device" selected, which is my microphone. And it's recording well.

In the speakers menu, there's a "Soundcard Device" pull-down menu to "Select the device that's attached to your speakers." I only have one option here, which is SoundMAX Integrated (my onboard soundcard).

Then below that, though, is "Recording Line." Next to it it says "Undetected." There are buttons for manual search and auto search. When I press Auto Search, I get an error message: "WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed."

When I press Manual Search, I get: "Unable to detect recording line for speakers. Please make sure your soundcard is correctly selected in the 'Soundcard Device' of 'Audio Options for Speakers.' " As I mentioned earlier, my onboard soundcard is my only option in that list, and it is selected.

So I'm kind of at a loss. I might have to bark up another tree.

Here's what that error turns up. I suspect this is the cause of the problem. They give some suggestions.
WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed - CamStudio Support Forum

Maybe try the other software (hypercam) that you mentioned.

I may be late to the party, but there's a piece of free CCTV software called iSpy that lets you add a desktop screen as a "camera" and then add a microphone and pair the two. Then when you click record on the desktop the video and audio record onto a single mp4.
I use it at my religious meeting place to record the meetings.

AKAIK when you use an external AI it needs to record to a specific DAW?
The video recording software seems to only want to use the On Board Soundcard?

Cubase for example will (of course!) record the Tascam with ASIO drivers and it can also handle video to a degree, but, can you route the internal camera to Cubase? Reaper will probably be much the same.

My feeling is you see the problem is a'upards? Stop trying to route AUDIO and see what you can do with the pictures?

Dave.

Have you tried Apowersoft Free Screen Recorder. That certainly gives you microphone options while recording video of the screen.

Back