Recording rig in a Virtual Machine - anyone?

YanKleber

Retired
Someone has experience recording in a Virtual Machine?

PS: I am planning to use VMWare Workstation.

Thanks!

:thumbs up:

We use VMWare for our proprietary software application. Why are you considering this? Wouldn't it just be easier to install it on your PC/Laptop?

Someone has experience recording in a Virtual Machine?

PS: I am planning to use VMWare Workstation.

Thanks!

:thumbs up:

Hey,
VM has come a looong way but I still don't think I'd be very confident about recording that way.
I'd much prefer to dual boot or have a separate machine.
Still...tell us more.

What OS do you run, what OS will you be virtualising, what interface (and bus) are you using, and what recording software will you be using.

Why are you considering this?
The reason is because currently I am using a computer that is not mine (company owns it) and that I cannot install my recreational stuff directly on it but I am allowed to create a virtual machine for this purpose.

What OS do you run, what OS will you be virtualising, what interface (and bus) are you using, and what recording software will you be using.
Computer is Win 7 64 and I am going to virtualize Win7 32. Interface is a Behringer UCA222. DAW is Reaper with a bunch of VSTs.

Thanks.

There has to be a latency penalty running software on top of software on top of hardware like that.

The reason is because currently I am using a computer that is not mine (company owns it) and that I cannot install my recreational stuff directly on it but I am allowed to create a virtual machine for this purpose.

Computer is Win 7 64 and I am going to virtualize Win7 32. Interface is a Behringer UCA222. DAW is Reaper with a bunch of VSTs.

Thanks.

USB is probably an additional problem.
Is it a desktop? Can you just fit an additional hard drive and dual boot?

USB is probably an additional problem.
Is it a desktop? Can you just fit an additional hard drive and dual boot?
I cannot make changes to the computer (open it, attach drives, etc). Latency is not a problem to me as I can easily drag the recorded track to the correct position. I just would like to know if someone has done it before and so if it works. Otherwise it is not a big deal anyway. It was just an idea.

:)

I cannot make changes to the computer (open it, attach drives, etc). Latency is not a problem to me as I can easily drag the recorded track to the correct position. I just would like to know if someone has done it before and so if it works. Otherwise it is not a big deal anyway. It was just an idea.

:)

Yeah, fair enough, although latency isn't as simple as that depending what you're doing.
The issue is usually hearing your live input as delayed compared to what has been recorded before.

If you can record without needing to hear yourself back in real time, the way I do vocals, then it's not really a problem. :)

Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know.

I already recorded two whole albums and didn't have a single problem by synchronizing things so I think I will be OK. From my perspective — and small experience — the only problem with latency is when you need to monitor the recording track or doing live performances (that aren't my case).

Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know.
No worries!

;)

Yeah, it sounds like performance will be terrible. If you're ok with dealing with that manually, the other big concern I would see would be making sure that the VM can recognize your interface. If you can do that, then it should be technically possible.

Back