Recording a real audio show

Jeff Rambo

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff Rambo, and this is my first post here. I'm a young Broadcast & Print Journalist (Investigative, Sports, Politics, Editorial etc.), and I am on the verge of starting an "Internet Magazine Audio Show" web site. The site's main feature would be a weekly 2hr-3hr talk radio show with print and interactive content complimenting the audio show on non-broadcast days.

Here is a little more background on the situation at hand ... I'm on a low-budget (Roughly $600/$850) since I also had to pay for web hosting, a web design, programming etc. which in the end put me in the whole for $900. The issue is, I need to get the proper equipment to record this audio show, as well a proper setup etc.

There are many real audio type shows across the net where people are just using their basic sound cards, computer mics, and a recorder on their computer to put up the shows which is basically a $60 setup, and these type of shows work well with listeners however the audio quality of these shows basically suck ... period. I want to produce a good quality show which is of course going to require more than $60 and at the same time have fun doing it but I don't want to find myself in serious debt that I can't get myself out, so I was only able to budget another $600/$800 for this project.

Now that I've given the situation, here is my scenario .... the show as I said is going to be either 2hrs or 3hrs in duration, and will be broadcasted once per week in real audio format. It'll mainly be vocals (it is talk radio afterall), with mixed in music/sound FX clips etc. every now and then, but not that much. I basically want the best sound quality possible to provide to my listeners, as well as build a nice reputiable name amongst any guests that I may have on the show. I'm currently leaning towards digital/computer recording/editing as opposed to analog since I'm pretty much set up for it at the moment to some extent although not fully.

The Current Equipment as well space I have is the following:
- 3 PCs: Main PC is PII 500MHZ, 320MB RAM, Sound Blaster!Live Platinum w/ Live Drive. Other 2 PCs are AMD/Celeron based somewhere in the 300mhz range with 64MB each with all 3 Computers networked together over a home LAN with both, a Cable Modem and DSL. Between the 3 computers, there is about 10-15GB of hard drive space free, with the security of being able to free up more space.
- REALISTC 4 Channel Stereo Microphone Mixer
- Outland Streo Graphic Equalizer / DEQ-20L
- Sony Dynamic Microphone / F-V610
- Sony Digital Reference Dynamic Stereo Headphones / MDR-CD60
- Miscellany computer headphones/microphones
- Cambridge Soundworks Fourpoint Surround Sound Computer Speaker System. (2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, 1 subwoolfer)

Basically what I want to do is "upgrade/replace" my equipment that I have to get the best possible sound quality for my show, as well the right equipment for the show in general and proper placement and setup of the equipment.

I've been looking around the net, and from what I can see ... what I've been lead to believe that I need is the following:
- Microphone Preamp
- Reverb Amplifier
- Mixer
- Decent Microphones
- Decent Headphones and/or Monitor Speakers
- Respective cabling/wiring for each

As I said, I was thinking digital equipment to go along with my computer although this may be ruled out due to the cost restraints, however I have seen Foster Digital Mixers for $199, as well a Foster Digital Multitrack (Will I even need a MultiTrack) for $249.99 both at Musicianfriend.com

... Is this true? If it is, are there any recommendations for equipment within my price range ($600-$800) as well as places to buy them (I live in Los Angeles, CA)? And what would be the proper setup for this equipment? If it isn't, what is it that I need, and where can I find it?

Also ... every now and then I will have guests on the show that will be incorporated into the show via phone interviews, what is the best way (equipment) to impliment to use for picking up these phone interviews into my recordings? This equipment would also have to fit into my budget.

The area that I will be recording in is a room in my home ... that is roughly about 12-14ft left wall to right wall, 16-18ft front wall to back wall, 7ft give or take from the floor to the ceiling. The walls are Sheetrock, painted white. Floor is hardwood. There is also a ceiling fan in the room. There are 2 doors, 1 to enter/leave the room, and another that goes into the closet. There are 2 windows that open/close from left to right with shades on each windowframe. The closet is also a walk-in closet with a nice amount of space for equipment (maybe the computer equipment?). Since this is mainly vocal stuff, I'm not sure if I will need soundproofing since there isn't going to be any instruments put into play, I'd only imagine there would be a factor of dead air/silence etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd also like any advice on any software suggestions, although the software doesn't need to be taken into consideration as far as costs go, since I can pretty much get my hands on any audio/recording related software free.

I know I'll probably get 1 or 2 "Wait until you get more money" responses, but thats not exactly somthing I can take into consideration since this will be more of a hobby with the slight chances of gaining revenue from it so no more than between $600-$800 (with about a $50 margin, so $850 at the most) can be spent on this project right now, and with christmas coming up, I can't exactly be deep in the pockets due to a big family etc. I've tried getting an account with Musicianfriend.com and 1 or 2 other places that lease equipment that would allow me to pay for my equipment overtime, however I didn't get approved for any ... from what it seems I have bad credit <Now I wonder how that happened>. Anyhow ... ALL .... I repeat ALL help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Feel free to contact me either by response to this post, or to expedite a faster response as well an assured way of response, feel free to e-mail me at Jeff@SourceRunner.com and/or JeffRambo@Mediaone.net or AOL IM: Jeff iX00 (2 Zero's not 2 O's).

Back