Recording Process

guitardude

Ok...so there is days i just sit and wonder and get lazy bout recording.

So i was curious how does everyone go bout recording there songs.

Motivation?

Sometimes i guess this is how i go bout it:

Set the mics up and try to find a good sound or place.
Then set the metronome.
record...

Through the process i can get depressed and think to much about the sound or how its just doesnt sound good. Maybe its just need to be finished and mixed to its fullest.

So people tell me how you go bout recording your songs...or find motivation!

thanks so much.

It's very tough. I find it hard to be motivated or focused because of the billions of distractions and handicaps that living in a unit bring.

If the recording process is part of the writing process, then you will find yourself getting frustrated a lot. It's much easier if you have written a complete song and already know how you want it to sound in your head. If you have a clear image of the entire arrangement in your head then recording/mixing isn't hard because you already know (by logic/common sense) where to put the mic when tracking, and where to pan things when mixing.

It's having that clear image in your head of the final product that is the single most hardest thing when working on a project, at least for me.

If the recording process is part of the writing process, then you will find yourself getting frustrated a lot. It's much easier if you have written a complete song and already know how you want it to sound in your head. If you have a clear image of the entire arrangement in your head then recording/mixing isn't hard because you already know (by logic/common sense) where to put the mic when tracking, and where to pan things when mixing.

It's having that clear image in your head of the final product that is the single most hardest thing when working on a project, at least for me.

Yeah that might be good def. I write mostly acoustic stuff. I do hear parts but its more of a mellow atmosphere in my head so things are more experimental when tracking comes along. So if i start adding things...I will feel that is really works or colors the idea well or it may suck.

I guess i shoudl really lay off on adding to much stuff that maybe shouldnt be in the song haha. Just hear it naturally if something should be there.

I basically only record a few chord progressions that I had thought of before.. then just work on those. Maybe even change em'. What I do is basically play with music and experiment and see what happens. :p

Ok...so there is days i just sit and wonder and get lazy bout recording.

So i was curious how does everyone go bout recording there songs.

Motivation?

Sometimes i guess this is how i go bout it:

Set the mics up and try to find a good sound or place.
Then set the metronome.
record...

Through the process i can get depressed and think to much about the sound or how its just doesnt sound good. Maybe its just need to be finished and mixed to its fullest.

So people tell me how you go bout recording your songs...or find motivation!

thanks so much.

I dont know why, but when I do something I do it full on no matter what it is.
To be honest if you dont like the say it sounds when you track, mixing wont fix it. I have a band and I guess maybe the idea of recording our own CD early 08 is driving me to learn more and practice recording.

For me to really get into recording a song i have to really be motivated and have a good song idea in my head.....I generally need to smoke a big fat J and the the music really starts to flow...

I have lots of guitar ideas but I don't really have a clear idea of the arrangement until I start putting a midi drum track together. That's the painful part of my process - the drums. Takes me at least a couple weeks - a little bit each night. And even then the arrangement is just a first pass. I'll add bass guitar to it and see if it feels okay. If not I'll cut and paste whole sections around until I like the arrangement.

I have lots of guitar ideas but I don't really have a clear idea of the arrangement until I start putting a midi drum track together. That's the painful part of my process - the drums. Takes me at least a couple weeks - a little bit each night. And even then the arrangement is just a first pass. I'll add bass guitar to it and see if it feels okay. If not I'll cut and paste whole sections around until I like the arrangement.

I'm probably like you with adding things and see where it takes the song. Sometimes i have a clear idea but....it changes with the recording process.
Also the way i hear things in my head dont always come out the same way when i record. Probably cuz i dont have a real drumset or....the best mics..blah.

Back