Recording the output from Guitar Rig 5??

Michael7332

Hello all, I have a question for y'all as I am at a loss here. I play guitar and I bought a Line 6 GuitarPort, and Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5, and for now I'm using Audacity until I get it all figured out.

My question is this:
How can I play through NIGR5 and have it record to Audacity (or another DAW) without having to use NIGR5 as a VST plugin? The way it is now, I have to record and then go back and apply the effects to the track in audacity. What I want is for it to record it as I'm playing, the way it sounds in my headphones but I'm having no luck.

Can you tell me how to achieve this, or suggest a DAW that will allow for this? Hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance!

Try Reaper.

Create a track
Insert GR5 as an FX insert.
Arm the track for recording, turn track monitoring on.
Hit record and play guitar.

I'd like to try that but I see it's $60. For obvious reasons I'd prefer to be sure that it's going to work before I purchase anything. The Line 6 GuitarPort was supposed to do everything I needed but, failed to mention that it doesn't work with Win 10 without purchasing the Pod Farm 2.5 software for $99!

Thanks for the suggestion though, I really appreciate it!

Reaper is free to try, and the demo is fully functional. After 30 or 60 days, you'll get a nag screen until you register, but it will remain fully functional.

Try Reaper.

Create a track
Insert GR5 as an FX insert.
Arm the track for recording, turn track monitoring on.
Hit record and play guitar.

I maybe doing it wrong but I can heqr the overdrive from GR5 and it shows it recording to Reaper but when I play it back on reaper it's just clean guitar with no overdrive, just raw guitar.

I want it to record it the way I hear it in GR5.

Did you somehow turn GR5 off when you played back?

If you use GR5 as an FX on a track in Reaper, you can hear the effect as you record by monitoring the track, but the sound that is being recorded is a clean guitar.

When you play the track back without the FX on, that's what you will hear: a clean guitar.

WTGR to Mr G I don't think you can record the output of an external AI* unless it has some software that allows it such as F'rite's MixControl?

There might be a workaround if Windows will allow recording to "Stereo Mix" in the sound control menu.

The other solution (which we used for some years) is to "dump" the signal onto another device. That device could be another PC (we sent it via S/PDIF) a Mini Disc recorder (done that) or even a decent cassette machine since the dynamic range and noise levels of distorted guitar are hardly high fidelity!

*And, AFAICT it is a VERY basic AI?

Dave.

WTGR to Mr G I don't think you can record the output of an external AI* unless it has some software that allows it such as F'rite's MixControl?

There might be a workaround if Windows will allow recording to "Stereo Mix" in the sound control menu.

The other solution (which we used for some years) is to "dump" the signal onto another device. That device could be another PC (we sent it via S/PDIF) a Mini Disc recorder (done that) or even a decent cassette machine since the dynamic range and noise levels of distorted guitar are hardly high fidelity!

*And, AFAICT it is a VERY basic AI?

Dave.

If the OP uses GR5 in stand alone mode, to be able to record it he would need to do as you suggest. In stand alone mode, you play the guitar and hear the effect in real time.

However, the OP doesn't need to use it in stand alone mode. I know he didn't want to use it as a VST plug in, but I think that was because he was not hearing the effects as he was playing when doing it that way.

If the OP wants play, hear the GR5 effect in real time and record the results he just has to do as suggested above.

The advantage of doing so is that the OP can record his playing using one effect5 in GR5, then after he has recorded his playing, he can play around with GR5 and try different settings . . . maybe find one he likes better.

When satisfied, just render to a WAV file and you're done.

If the OP uses GR5 in stand alone mode, to be able to record it he would need to do as you suggest. In stand alone mode, you play the guitar and hear the effect in real time.

However, the OP doesn't need to use it in stand alone mode. I know he didn't want to use it as a VST plug in, but I think that was because he was not hearing the effects as he was playing when doing it that way.

If the OP wants play, hear the GR5 effect in real time and record the results he just has to do as suggested above.

The advantage of doing so is that the OP can record his playing using one effect5 in GR5, then after he has recorded his playing, he can play around with GR5 and try different settings . . . maybe find one he likes better.

When satisfied, just render to a WAV file and you're done.

I bow sir, to your superior knowledge in these matters!

Rock on,

Dave.

Back