Recording with Numark StereoIO/Soundblaster USB/Internal soundcard

Joner Jones

Hi. recently I've had to sell my audio interface, throwing me back into the days of recording through an old mixer's pre-amps into my PC soundcard, definitely not ideal but it works.

I also own two Numark Stereo IOs Stereo|iO Analog-to-Digital DJ Interface | Numark - Cutting-edge professional DJ equipment

and a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 NX 70SB030000000 External USB Sound System - Newegg.com

My question is, would the A/D conversion quality of my soundcard be significantly inferior to using one of the USB options above? The advantages of using the built in soundcard would be the low latency and ability to record four channels. I can also record four channels with the Numarks when they are both plugged in, but the latency is high and they are only 16-bit. The soundblaster can only record two channels (stereo line-in), but I was wondering if there would be a jump in A/D sound quality as it appears to be a more expensive unit.

I ask this as I'm recording a friends' acoustic duo soon and wanted to g
et some opinions on how to get the cleanest audio signal possible from my mixer into my computer with the options currently available to me.

Thanks!

Joner

Hi Joner.
Talk about a rock and hard place!
Why are you concerned about latency for tracking? Do you intend to do some fancy dubbing or real time FX? If not, latency is unimportant (would not bother you if all you had was a Revox A77?!!) .

Then, I hardly think a £29 converter can be "cutting edge"! IMHO in THIS particular case, you are better going "mixer> Sound Blaster".

Err? Guitar "duo"? That mean two instruments together? If so, mic on each but you could try my favourite, co-I stereo if you have suitable microphones.

Dave.

Thanks for the reply! I guess latency wouldn't be an issue when recording this guitar duo, but mainly when I'm playing with guitar rig and other real time FX. This is really only a temporary fix so hopefully I'll have another real interface interface soon!

Back