recording/ monitor problem/question

JasonBird

Average Member
hi there, I'm pretty new to recording and have got my pc set up with a delta 44 card, and I'm using cakwalk pro audio 9.03. My microphone is running into a mixer and the main outs go into the 44 break out box inputs. the outputs of the breakout box i have going over to my pc speakers. I have the mic gain adjusted properly, and I get a nice signal into the 44. I found that the input going into cakewalk when i record, is really weak unless i turn of the main volume sliders on the 44 control panel up as high as it goes, then it tries to blow my speakers out. So i've been just turning off the speakers and then recording with the slider all of the way up. then I have to turn the volume down again before turning on the speakers and listening to the take. There has to be a better way! Should I route things differently? Your help is greatly appreciated in advance!
*Bird*

The input levels in the Delta should be up all the way. Turn down the outputs in Cakewalk.

Another possibility, if your mixer has more than one bus - route the souncard outs back to the mixer. Use the main outs to pwoer the speakers, and run the alt bus outputs to the Delta. Assign the mic channels to the alt bus and the outputs of the soundcard to the main bus. Then you can use your faders to control the volume.

One more point -- computer speakers are inadequate for monitoring purposes. Decent monitors are virtually a neccessity.

freak on a leash?

Tell me if you think I'm going overboard here...

My mixer has only one pair of balanced outs (they're XLR). It also has unbalanced 1/4" outs for main1-2, alt3-4, and control room, plus a tape out (which is rca). I don't want to use any of the unbalanced outs for critical signaling, so I use the balanced outs from the mixer, into my Delta 44 breakout box (ins 1 & 2), set the patchbay/router for "H/W 1-2 Out" to Monitor Mixer, and use those balanced outs to connect some XLR cables to my monitors. I'm probably being anal in that using the unbalanced outs would not be distinguishable (unless I'm running my speaker cable in a bad spot) from my current setup, but before I run out and buy different cables to experiment with different setups (like the one you mention) it'd be nice to get some feedback on the advantages and drawbacks of various configurations.

Advantages for my setup -- Obviously this provides me with the best signal I can get into my monitors (does it really make a noticable difference?), which is nice for mixing and mastering. When recording multiple tracks I can listen to everything at once, or solo the rhythm tracks, etc. while I play and record subsequent tracks.

Disadvantages -- I need my computer booted up to play my keyboard without headphones. I'm not sure what I'll do to monitor my recorded tracks if I start laying in vocals (probably set device-out to my SoundBlaster and use headphones?) The only way to globally reduce volume to my monitors is via the Delta 44 control panel which is a pain while using other software at the same time.

Is there any functional difference between using alt3-4 or the control-room outs from my mixer (Behringer MX1604A) to get the signal to my monitors? If I change to a setup with the Delta 44 outs going to my mixer then how will I listen to a rhythm track when I'm laying down a new track?

Thanks for any help.... I might just need another cup of coffee this morning...

-Shaz
http://www.pobox.com/~whichcraft

Back