Recording into interface, and then into Garageband on a Mac?

rbasi02

Hi, I am looking to purchase a usb mixer/interface and mics to record some drums in my garage. I would like to record my drums in my garage, into a mixer/interface, and then somehow be able to transfer that recording into my iMac inside my house, which has garageband. I would like to know if this is even possible. Would I need a laptop or something to plug my interface into? Thanks
btw, this is my first post, so go easy :D

An audio interface is exactly what the name implies - a way to connect analog audio gear to a computer. It pretty much does nothing on its own. So yeah, you'd need a latop or just drag the iMac out to the garage. Maybe if you had a really long USB cable... :)

You might do better with a standalone recorder. One of those digital portastudio things that has the preamps and mixer and ADC and multi-track recording/storage in one unity. These always have some way of transferring the files you record to a computer -USB, flash drive, sometimes Ethernet - but it's worth researching how exactly that happens and pick one that will work well for you.

How many simultaneous mics/channels do you want to record?
You can probably get away with 8 but everybody does things differently. Take a look at a Tascam DP24SD or a Zomm R16 or R24.
These can record on their own without the computer and then transfer files to computer to be manipulated in your DAW.

Thanks, I will definitely look into those portable recorders. I only need around 6 channels so that shouldn't be too expensive. Once again, thanks :D

Only need to post your question once. Please don't start multiple threads for the same topic.

Also, are there any options around £150? I'm kinda on a limited budget here. Thanks

For that money you could get the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Two mic inputs but also two more line inputs so if you could stretch to, beg or borrow a small mixer you could make a decent 4 channel drum mix?

But that blows the budget. Where do the mics, cables, stands come from? Not to mention the PC! (Which, btw could be a pretty medium performing clunker. You don't need much computing power to just record even a dozen tracks) The KA6 will work with any computer or OS you are likely you get hands on.

Dave.

But wouldn't that still require me to connect it directly to my pc, almost 10 meters away? I am looking for an option that will let me record and transfer to PC later.

But wouldn't that still require me to connect it directly to my pc, almost 10 meters away? I am looking for an option that will let me record and transfer to PC later.

Ok but even if you could get a 6 channel recorder for £150 you still need at least that much again for all the other kit!

Dave.

Back