Recording guitars

Kazin

Hi all! This is my first post, and you guessed it...I need help.

I'm currently using an iMac. What does that mean? It means no PCI slots. I plan on upgrading to a nifty PC sometime next year, but I want to start playing with recording now. I can't get a high end sound card now, use it until I upgrade and then put it in the new computer, because again...I don't have any PCI slots. The only other option there would be USB, and a USB external thing can't hold a candle to a PCI card. So! This brings us to the actual problem. In the time between now and when I get a new computer, I'd like to get my electric guitar and bass into my computer for as little money as possible. I have 3 amplifiers, and none of them have a "line out," just a 1/4" headphone jack. I've tried going from the headphone jack to the 1/8" audio in on the side of my computer. It actually sounds good, and the volume seems to be in check...until I get to the lower strings. The top 4 strings of an electric guitar play through perfectly, but once I get to the bottom 2, the sound comes through my computer as if I were using a distortion pedal. The distortion pedal effect goes for all of the bass guitar's strings, too. So it all comes down to this: What's causing the distortion, and what's the cheapest way to fix it?

Thanks,
Kazin

Back