Recording Equipment With MIDI compatibility

NNOV8R

Can anyone give me a decent home recorder that has MIDI compatibility. I have been looking at Tascams but none of them seem to have MIDI. I already have Steinberg Equipment and don't care for the E licencing issues.

What are you trying to accomplish with MIDI and a stand alone recorder?

MIDI compatible equipment

Can anyone recommend a digital portastudio similar to the Tascam DP-24, I currently have a scarlet studio that has the Steinberg software, but I have an issue with the e licencing and am tired of dealing the B.S. associated with this system. I would also like to be able to edit my drum tracks in MIDI.

You really need to persevere and get the software sorted. Attempting to edit drum tracks in a hardware system will annoy you far more than the licensing system. You really do need to get up to speed with the computer systems because the hardware devices are just clever updated versions of very old technology with stacks of limitations and very little expandability. Cubase LE is quite capable. You need to get some help to sort the licensing, then move on. Cutting yourself off from modern production methods really limits you - especially when it comes to editing MIDI. In reality, MIDI is on external devices, just a recorder. You can do drop ins and other limited types of editing, but shifting a snare hit forwards or backwards is computer stuff now.

Have you bought the Scarlett second hand, and the licensing system won't let you authenticate? If so - then it could be simpler to just buy the cut down cubase package and get on the paid for ladder with software. I like Cubase - have done for years, through loads of upgrades. I bought an interface and got LE free with it - I stuck it on a second computer, but then tried to install on this mac, and that failed. Steinberg took a while, but sorted it for me.

Pretty sure he is looking for a stand-alone recorder that does MIDI. In which case, I think he's out of luck? I just looked at all the high-end JoeCo and Sound Devices recorders at Sweetwater, and none of them show MIDI tracking.

Can anyone recommend a digital portastudio similar to the Tascam DP-24, I currently have a scarlet studio that has the Steinberg software, but I have an issue with the e licencing and am tired of dealing the B.S. associated with this system. I would also like to be able to edit my drum tracks in MIDI.

What Rob said. You think the elicenser is difficult, try editing audio on a standalone. The scarlet is a good little unit and Cubase LE is great for editig midi.

Also, you started a new thread when you should have responded to all the replies given to you in your first thread. I merged the two and moved them to the Newbies forum.

MIDI on a stand alone is for synching up gear, i.e. starts/stops.

I have never heard of one that provides MIDI editing for VSTs.....technology has moved past the stand alone recorders, and as others have recommended, a computer and software is the best way to go for this.

Thank you, I'm sorry I have just started interacting on this site, I will try to be more mindful of where and how I post from here on out.

---------- Update ----------

Thank you sir.

Thanks, I also looked on several websites, Guitar Center's website says the Tascam DP-24 Does, but Sweetwater and Tascams site doesn't say anything about MIDI.

If you use Reaper, it allows you to authorize either online or offline. It even allows to be installed on a USB drive. Your plugins will require authorization, many just authorizing, downloading some code that the software looks for, and once authorized, you are done.

The iLOK system is designed for computers not online as the iLOK gets authorized and then where you want to use the software, you install, insert your iLOK and off and running. Probably this is useful to people who roam from recording studio to recording studio. Lots of different ways to get this authorization sorted.

Maybe the question you may want to ask in another forum, how do you authorize [insert software name here] on a computer that is off line. You can always download the software, use a USB drive and install from there. Authorization similar as well. That could solve a lot of your problems and give you more options than a stand alone. Plus save you money for other gear.

Reaper is the right answer.

If you were to go all hardware you would need an audio recorder that can do as many tracks as you need and MIDI sync stuff plus a hardware MIDI sequencer plus probably at least one MIDI sound module. There are "workstation" type synths that include sequencer and sound module, and I think some of those might do some limited audio recording, but you'll need to be looking in the Keyboard department rather than the Recording department, and you will be extremely limited and have to deal with some arcane user interface.

You've already got the interface.

Reaper is the right answer.

Are we assuming you don't want an e-licenser because you don't wish to connect to the internet? If that's the reason, then most of the sequencers/DAWs will be trouble because they're quite integrated with the net. For what it's worth, my Adobe subscription has been fine without permanent net access. Can you share your reasons? We're still quite in the dark as to what you want to do?

Actually, Steinberg does seem to be a pain with respect to this. For instance, just about any DAW I'm aware of has free trials you can download and install because the company wants your business and is eager for you to give its DAW a spin. But you can't even use Steinberg on a trial basis without a dongle (if I'm not mistaken)-- except for the "lite" editions (Elements or AI or LE), which might use e-licensing but they don't require an iLok account or a dongle. I have several virtual instrument collections and soft synths that require an iLok account, but they don't require a dongle, so it seems kind of draconian that Steinberg does. I guess they're doing so well financially that they don't want new business as badly as other DAW makers do.

Once installed on any specific machine, Reason requires no future access. Have been using it at the church without internet for 2 years (and installed 2 updates). Just has to do the initial authorization after install.

Thank you, I'm sorry I have just started interacting on this site, I will try to be more mindful of where and how I post from here on out.

---------- Update ----------

Thank you sir.

No problem. :) Welcome to the site. Lots of good advice from knowledgeable and willing people.

Back