Recording from CD player

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
Ok... so I run the outputs from my CD player to my ART preamp... into the inputs 1 & 2 of my WAVE 8*24. I open a new session in Ntrack (or Cool Edit Pro, or Vegas, or Wavelab) and the VU meter shows the signal coming through... I hit "record" and record for a bit... then when I hit "stop"... but nothing is there.
Each ap behaves differently at this point...

Vegas pretends nothing is unusual...

Ntrack gives me an error message: "No information contained in wave chunk"

Wavelab freezes up.

Cool Edit Pro crashes.

Heres the interesting part: IN Ntrack, if I try to record from the CD player into an existing session, it will work, but only untill the recording cursor gets to the edge of the screen, at which point the program freezes up, but the bit of wave file that has been recorded is intact...

I have no clue.

First of all, forget about the fact that your source is a CD player. Since you're running into your Wave, it's no different from any other analog source.

Second, under Control Panel->Multimedia, see what's selected as your default soundcard.

Third, what's changed since the last time you successfully recorded?

Fourth, you might try reinstalling your wave drivers. Unfortunately they're no longer being developed so you can't go out and look for more recent versions...well actually maybe you can...it is possible that there has been some 3rd party development...you might look around.

Fifth, a better way to get shit off a CD is to rip it. Media player will do it. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de is a better one.

Slak

Also, why run the CD signal through the pre? Isn't the signal from the CD already line level?

Yes, why would you be recording from a CD-player???? Rip it.

I'm also an N-Track user.

Do you have the inputs selected properly in N-Track preferences??

Have you tried using different inputs in N-Track (MME, ASIO, etc?)

Your version of N-Track may be corrupt. Have you tried downloading another copy and reinstalling?

What version of N-Track are you using?

Ok... heres the embarrassing truth...
I dont have a CD rom in my audio machine right now... I only have one working CDrom drive to share between two machines and thats why I am asking this question...
I know the easy fix would be to put the CDrom drive back in my audio rig and do digital audio extraction... but thats not the point...
I want to know why its doing what its doing...

Since you're having problems in all your apps...it's probably the wave drivers man....

Damn, I hate to say it, but maybe you should drop the Larsonist down to NT4 or 9x...the wave 2000 support probably wasn't finalized by the time they went under.

Slackmaster 2000

Well... it was working fine... untill it stopped working.
Im not trying to stroke myself... but I have managed to record 20 plus tracks of audio of ALL of these apps prior to this strangeness... so lets assume I know how to use the software...
I appreciate the suggestions that I check to make sure the inputs are configured properly... but this problem runs a bit deeper than that.
I was hoping it had something to do with the sample rate of CDs not being compatible with my card... but I guess thats not the case... and I knew it wouldnt be.

P.S... Slak...
Maybe we need to have a conversation about NT4.

You're right, sample rate isn't gonna have dick to do with it. Slack's probably on the mark with the wave drivers.
I thought you were starting with a fresh '98 install. What's
up with that? Probably your best bet.
Wow! Fresh OS, brand new drivers. Clean!

My audio machine is running Win2000... and it was just installed like 2 months ago...
If I wanted to reinstall my OS every 2 months I would have stuck with Win98.
Sorry if I sound like a little bitch... but for every hour I spend recording... I spend 5 hours trying to troubleshoot my system... Fucking help me.
Fucking kill me.

Back