Recording audio from iPad into DAW

MichB

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone records audio from apps on iPad into their DAW and, if so, what's the best way for the best sound quality?

I sometimes make beats on apps like iMaschine and would like to record elements straight into Ableton (in stereo), adding FX on the fly. My sound card is an EMU 0202 (2in 2out). I've tried connecting from the iPad headphone socket into the sound card, which seems to work. Another way (I haven't tried yet) might be via lightning cable in the charger socket. Would this be better or is there another way?

I know I can put the iMaschine project into full Maschine and transfer the audio or midi from there, but I don't really know Maschine (another learning curve) and I like using the touch screen FX in the app.

There's also the Ableton 'Link' function to consider too. Any thoughts, tips gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Michelle

I don't have a pad or an iPhone but my son (in France) has an Android tablet and he can save files to a USB stick. Can you not do the same?

Dave.

I don't have a pad or an iPhone but my son (in France) has an Android tablet and he can save files to a USB stick. Can you not do the same?

Dave.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I don't know but I will look into it.

Michelle

I think that only the last gen of iPads have usb ports. People have complained about that for years. This article will tell you how to bypass it and do as the OP wants to do, if the iPad meets the specs.

I think that only the last gen of iPads have usb ports. People have complained about that for years. This article will tell you how to bypass it and do as the OP wants to do, if the iPad meets the specs.

Ah now, son's Android only has a 'micro' USB port and even that does not run proper USB protocol, can't use an adaptor and connect a keyboard e.g. but I bought a double ended USB drive from Sainsburys (bargain, 32G 11 quid) and the wee end goes into the pad and works a treat!

Another thought. If the 'i Thang' does Internet, bounce the files to a Cloud or use 'Sendit' or Dropbox.

Dave.

Thanks for the link - some good info there, pretty sure I can make something work.

Michelle

Ah now, son's Android only has a 'micro' USB port and even that does not run proper USB protocol, can't use an adaptor and connect a keyboard e.g. but I bought a double ended USB drive from Sainsburys (bargain, 32G 11 quid) and the wee end goes into the pad and works a treat!

Another thought. If the 'i Thang' does Internet, bounce the files to a Cloud or use 'Sendit' or Dropbox.

Dave.

More helpful ideas. Many thanks. Will report back once I find the solution that works best.

Michelle

Back