Recording audio files to external hard drive.

thelowerlip

I read somewhere that you should only have software on your computer and when you record, the audio files should go directly to your external drive. True?

So you just open the project from the external drive and have no projects saved on the computer?

I assume this frees up CPU power? Are there any adjustments to settings in XP needed to make this sort of thing worth while?

This is recommended but not essential.
It's especially beneficial on laptops with 5400rpm drives where using a firewire external is an option.

It won't reduce cpu usage, but rather it will provide greater hdd bandwidth for your audio.

If you were to do it, then yes, you open the projects from the external drive and have no projects saved on the computer.

External is not necessarity accurate. Another drive is. Your OS/programs drive can have issues keeping it's own, while streaming audio files. The best idea is to keep them separate. Yes, you can use one drive for both, but it will be overworked and possibly cause dropouts with high track counts or heavy VST use. Also, the last thing you want ever, is to lose your audio files with a drive failure. OS and programs can be reinstalled. You cant get back audio files. I have two audio drives. One backs up the other in case of a disaster. Hell, I have a second drive that backs up my OS constantly to avoid the nightmare. I sleep much better these days. :)

And, they are pretty damn cheap these days. A few bones for piece of mind-priceless.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jimmys69 again.

You already got today's portion. Don't be greedy! ;)

Back