Recording in Adobe Audition

AppEnt

I have two issues while recording in Adobe Audition 1.0.

1. When recording with a mic, the input is clipping (I think that is the right word, the waveforms look as though they are chopped off at the top). Is there a way to turn this off or adjust it.

2. The quality is good except for faint pops or cracks every so often.

Any ideas?

JS

the clipping of the mic is not from audition, it is from you sucking at setting the levels right in the first place :) . just kidding of course. I find that setting the volume level just right is probably the hardest thing to master in audio production. I still havn't gotten it right, I usually play it safe and turn the trim down to avoid clipping, but as a result, my mixes are low volume. This problem can be improved greatly by having a high quality preamp, condensor mic and A/D converters (this is what people pay the big bucks for).

what kind of preamp are you using? what kind of mic? what soundcard?

to fix the occasional pop and click, try fiddling witht he buffer size in your control panel.

Id be willing to bet that you are using a factory or onboard soundcard. They tend to have crackles or pops, and are overall pretty noisy. I also agree that you are having trouble with your input levels as well...try turning them down. I like my tracks to be recorded from say....-26 to -18db. Drums are the hardest to get that low...for me atleast. I turn my pre amps all the way down and they still like to clip. Im working on getting some -20db attenuators so i can turn my pre up and still not clip.

I am using Windows XP with a M-Audio MobilePre USB interface. I have a Samson dynamic mic. I admit I am pretty sorry at setting this up (Ha!), but I am trying to learn.

You mention the buffer size. Is this set in Audition or in Windows?

Thanks
JS

AppEnt said:
You mention the buffer size. Is this set in Audition or in Windows?
Your MAudio Inerface should have come with a small control panel - that's what minofifa is talking about. You should be able to set it to 128, 256, 512, 1024, and 2048 --- maybe the top and bottom extremes might not be available --- and you should move it up one notch, then record for a while and see if you still get clicks and pops.

Some time since I used it, but AA also has some buffer setings. You will find it under the recording device settings. Also it will depend on your temp file settings, try moving the temp files to a different hard disc. There is also an option to set asyncronous access, that may help. Sometimes, the cracles may be caused by the OS changing something in the swapspace. try setting both max and min swap to the same number (and make it big enough to start with). Also, what kind of drivers are you using (asio, wdm or wme)? You have the best chance using asio or wdm.

Back