Recording 4 tracks into Cubase LE8 Ai I get the "Too many tracks" prompt.

drumminman

When recording into Cubase LE8 with just 4 tracks, after a few bars I get a prompt telling me there are too many tracks recording. Sometimes it will record a minute or so and other times it quits after only a few bars. Also on playback of a two track recording imported from hand-held Sony, it plays and pauses and then resumes. It does show the complete imported tracks but playback hesitates and resumes sporadically. When I export the audio to Sound Forge for burning, it plays perfectly. Could it be I need to optimize my computer for audio? Please supply a link if you know one for optimizing Windows10 Home.
Thanks All,
Ed

I am using a laptop with a Windows 10 home up-grade. A 7200 rpm HDD, 4 gigs of ram and an Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU. T9600@2.80GHz. X64 based processor on an HP Workstation. I don't know the vintage of this Workstation since I bought it on-line with W10 already installed on a clean HDD

UserBenchmark: Intel Core2 Duo T9600

Doesn't really impress with the performance, and have you had a look at the performance monitor tools in windows 10 - they show you how the CPU and memory are doing - so you can run a program and see how much of the pcs resources are being used. When I push my cubase system so it misbehaves it's usually because something else starts to happen, that involves disc activity - like an update being started, or antivirus software suddenly doing a scan, or web services you are signed up to suddenly update their data needing you to download new data.

I am not connected to the net when recording but it might be trying to up-date or do some other maintenance. I will optimize this laptop and see if that helps. A link to optimizing Windows10 Home would be greatly appreciated.
Ed

Been a LOOOONG time since I turned on Cubase (Ess 6) but I recall that there is a setting to give Cubase 'share with other programs' or not. Tick DO NOT'!
I may have the wording wrong but essentially Cubase is greedy and temperamental (I have found) in that it wants exclusive control of the PC.

Naturally turn off unnecessary systems, WI-FI, wireless modems, Win bleeps, OBSoundcard.

Dave.

UserBenchmark: Intel Core2 Duo T9600

Doesn't really impress with the performance, and have you had a look at the performance monitor tools in windows 10 - they show you how the CPU and memory are doing - so you can run a program and see how much of the pcs resources are being used. When I push my cubase system so it misbehaves it's usually because something else starts to happen, that involves disc activity - like an update being started, or antivirus software suddenly doing a scan, or web services you are signed up to suddenly update their data needing you to download new data.

So, is this computer not up to the task? The specs I posted were what came with it and after working with Cubase LE4 on a Vista laptop it seemed to me that this one should be much better. But now I am using Cubase LE8 AI Elements so perhaps it takes more resources. Anyway I am frustrated that I can't get at least 4 tracks recording. Since the earlier post, I have prioritised for audio but the problem still exists. Where do I find the performance monitor?
Thanks again for tthe advice,
Ed

Back