Recording 101 questions - microphone, Windows ten, and Audacity

salparadise6132

Hi, old guy learning myself. I need help, please.

I am recording music and speaking for a podcast I am hoping to launch.

Issue - my condensing microphone level was very low, even though I though I had maximized it both on my interphase, in Device Manager, and in Audacity. The result has been that, what I reduce noise and amplify a guitar track, the guitar comes out sounding metallic and robot-like - nothing like the acoustic classical guitar that I had played. I figured that part of the problem was amplifying such a low input signal might be causing the issue. I went back to device manager and saw that while my mic input level was maxed, there is another control for mic boost. This has resulted in perfect mic levels on input but too much noise - even after applying noise reduction.

I realize I might be conflating two issues here - perhaps my metallic guitar was not cause by input level at all. I have not tried it with the new "noisy set up." But, if someone has any ideas on how I can get my mic input levels up without creating noise, that would be great!

I have an Acer PC running Windows 10

Recording software - Audacity - latest version

mic - AKG P120 Condensing microphone

Interface - Presonus AudioBox USB 96

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Turn down all your volume levels, then (on your Presonus AudioBox USB 96) make sure you have the red 48V button depressed to phantom power your mic. Then try again.

Last edited:
Sounds like you might be recording through the built in mic on the computer. I would check and make sure the input is set for your Presonus. You should have no problem getting enough signal through a condenser mic. Also make sure phantom power is turned on.

Back