record using mixer?

Curry

Hi I was looking into getting a mic, for some vocal recording. Would I need an audio interface? I've seen somewhere that I could use my xenyx 802 to record with.
Would this setup work? (Picture Below)
-
imgur: the simple image sharer
-

- Thanks!

It's a problem. First, those USB mixers tend to have bad latency. Second you also need like a DAW to deal with the file. I do not recommend it.

Looks like it's not USB.

Takin your main outs into the computer line input will work, but it might not be the best quality.
Try it yourself and see what you think, but it wouldn't be adequate for most guys around here.

Is the computer output going through the mixer purely to have mute/volume control?
Make sure you don't form a feedback loop. ;)

You could invest in a USB audio interface and just use the mixer as a speaker/headphone control/routing box.

You could invest in a USB audio interface and just use the mixer as a speaker/headphone control/routing box.

This is how I use my mixer, mainly for connections and volume control (loop back for my monitors easier volume control)

I use a mixer also. But the main out from the mixer goes into my UR22 interface. I use the mixer strictly for the extra inputs as the UR22 is 2 mic in, then into Cubase. My mixer also has claimed capabilities of direct to computer recording. Forget it. Just because it "can" doesn't mean it's "good" thing to do.

Looks like it's not USB.

Takin your main outs into the computer line input will work, but it might not be the best quality.
Try it yourself and see what you think, but it wouldn't be adequate for most guys around here.

Is the computer output going through the mixer purely to have mute/volume control?
Make sure you don't form a feedback loop. ;)

I've seem to have formed a feedback loop any tips to fix this? Thanks!

I've seem to have formed a feedback loop any tips to fix this? Thanks!

You know, I'm not even sure you can, now that I've looked at your mixer.
Usually you have subgroups or aux outs but yours doesn't seem to.

You can either get a USB audio interface for input and use the mixer purely for your output path (hands on volume control/headphone control), or you can use the mixer as your input device and connect the monitors directly to the PC output.

The latter means your PC is in charge of volume control. Be careful!
Bring your monitor volume up from zero with a slow pulse, rather than down from ten with brown shorts.

You know, I'm not even sure you can, now that I've looked at your mixer.
Usually you have subgroups or aux outs but yours doesn't seem to.

You can either get a USB audio interface for input and use the mixer purely for your output path (hands on volume control/headphone control), or you can use the mixer as your input device and connect the monitors directly to the PC output.

The latter means your PC is in charge of volume control. Be careful!
Bring your monitor volume up from zero with a slow pulse, rather than down from ten with brown shorts.
haha thanks! Do you have any recommendatios on a nice USB audio interface?

Here are some from a recent thread.

• focusrite 2i2
  • tascam us122
  • presonus audiobox
  • steinberg ur22
  • behringer um2
  • maudio fast track/mtrack
  • alesis io2
  • lexicon alpha
  • apogee duet
  • focusrite forte
  • RME baby face

There's a good range of quality and price there, so I'm sure you'll find something that you like. :)
Of course these are all two channel interface. If you envisage needing more than that, take a look at the tascam US series.

To be honest, any of these will have output volume and headphone volume, so you might find you can scrape some money back by selling the mixer. ;)

If you add the Native Instruments Komplete Audio6 to that list you would have an interface with two extra line inputs that could take the mixer. Four mic channels.

In many ways mixers, even the basic 802, are much more flexible in their input circuitry than almost any AI. I do not suggest the noobs STARTS with a mixer but if you already have one? In any case, how much will a used Berry 802 fetch? A few pints at best.

Dave.

Which inputs/outputs???

Hi I was looking into getting a mic, for some vocal recording. Would I need an audio interface? I've seen somewhere that I could use my xenyx 802 to record with.
Would this setup work? (Picture Below)
-

-

- Thanks!

I just got this mixer today (The 802). All I want to do is record guitar tracks into my laptop. I saw your picture... what I'm running into is.... When I'm RECORDING. I want to hear the mix from my laptop, and my live guitar. However, I ONLY want the guitar track (what I'm playing) to go out of the board back into the laptop.

For the life of me.... Any time I press that 2-TR to Ctrl Room button, it toggles between whats going into those RCA's (2-TK) and my live track.

What am I missing with regards to routing? I've tried all the common sense outputs... They all seem to carry the same data!!

HELP!!!!!

I just got this mixer today (The 802). All I want to do is record guitar tracks into my laptop. I saw your picture... what I'm running into is.... When I'm RECORDING. I want to hear the mix from my laptop, and my live guitar. However, I ONLY want the guitar track (what I'm playing) to go out of the board back into the laptop.

For the life of me.... Any time I press that 2-TR to Ctrl Room button, it toggles between whats going into those RCA's (2-TK) and my live track.

What am I missing with regards to routing? I've tried all the common sense outputs... They all seem to carry the same data!!

HELP!!!!!

Hi Chris,
you have committed a bit of a naughty by hijacking another's thread. You should really start your own and I suggest (WTGR!) in the newbs section.

But! Since yous here! Keep the mixer, always handy but you REALLY need an Audio Interface. My best reccy for a budget AI is the Steinberg UR22. If you have the cash and want more inputs (using the mixer) look at the Native Instruments KA6.

If you are really strapped the mixer can probably be made to work but will never be ideal. Is it the USB version of the 802?

Dave.

HELP!!!!!

What you're missing is that it's not really designed for what you are trying to do. That said, try recording from the FX send rather than the main outs and return the signal from the computer to one of the stereo channels. Then you have separate control of what you record and what you hear while recording.

I have the 2i2, it works pretty good. I use a mixer as well. I have the 8 subgroups routed into my DP 32. I record into the DP and master using Reaper. I like having the preamps and routing options for headphones off the console.

Back