Record from USB and line-in at the same time

rjerez1992

Hi guys! I'm new here.

I want to ask you guys if you know any way to record from USB and line-in at the same time.
The thing is, I have a USB condenser and a line-in from my mixer. I want to record them both.
It doesn't matter if they go on the same track or each by its own side, but I need to record from both at once
Is there any way with software to do it?

By now I'm using two computers, one for recording the USB microphone and other one for recording the line-in.

Thanks for your help guys!

The problem is that they have separate clocks for their converters. Often software can't record through separate unsynced converters, or one input can drift relative to the other, or the software will have to resample one stream on the fly.

If you're on a Mac you might be able to use Aggregate Device to do the resampling for whatever software you're recording in. I don't know if Windows can do that but I'm sure some software that runs on Windows can do it. Resampling does degrade the audio slightly, but it may not be enough for you to worry about.

The "right" answer is to get a mic that plugs into the mixer.

I haven't found a software that allows me to record from both sources at once. What I did was recording using two differents DAW (Audacity and Cubase in this case) worked for me, for now at least.

Thanks for your response

Years ago (in my Cool Edit days) I managed to record the computer's line in plus an Edirol USB interface at the same time by using Windows WDM drivers for both. However, the timing differences noted above caused such bad timing drift between the tracks that the results were virtually useless except for very short excerpts I could manually sync for ten or fifteen seconds at a time.

If'n you HAVE to do it! Magix Samplitude will work. You can download a 30day trial of Sam Pro X or the free Pro x Silver.

Running on MME drivers you can set inputs to record multiple sources, USB, PCI and, I suppose the on board card tho' I have not tried that (ALL my OBS cards are firmly stopped!)

Yes, there will be sync problems but we did not find them too bad for up to 5 minute takes, YMMV.
Not every track will start at exactly the same moment but this is easily fixed in Sam as it is a very easy DAW to edit in. N.B. make sure each track is MONO, can't "slide" one of a stereo pair.

Dave.

Back