Record again! 5 computer choices & best solution for no hum/latency w/ M-Audio DMP3?

flourish

Record again! 5 computer choices & best solution for no hum/latency w/ M-Audio DMP3?

I setup a home recording studio 10 years ago using “Computer 1” below. I used a 25-foot monitor/mouse/keyboard/audio extension cord and 25-foot power cord to store the desktop computer in a half-bathroom so that I could record without the “hum” of the computer. Now, 10 years later, I am hoping to record again with my current hardware which now include newer computer choices. From the 5 computer choices below, which computer choice might give me the clearest recording without a “hum” or other issues e.g. latency issues? I wanted to use my M-Audio DMP3 2-Channel Mic Pre/Direct Box to feed the music to the computer. I was thinking that my quiet laptop computer (Lenovo T510) or my mobile phone (Apple iPhone 6) might provide the best solution. Does anyone have any advice?

Equipment
  • M-Audio DMP3 2-Channel Mic Pre/Direct Box
  • MXL 990/991 Studio Condenser Microphones
  • Korg Pandora PX4D Guitar Multi Effects Processor
  • Marshall AVT20 20W 1x10 2-Channel Combo Amp with Reverb
  • M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Monitor Speakers
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
  • Fender Stratocaster (made in Mexico in 2000-2001)
  • Hohner HC09 Classical Acoustic Guitar
Computer 1: Very noisy desktop computer (home-built in 2005 and added new parts in 2010, e.g. CPU, motherboard)
  • Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 435, 2.90 GHz, x64-based processor
  • RAM: 4.00 GB
  • Audio Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI 4-In/4-Out with MIDI and Digital I/O
  • Software: N-Track 4.2.1 Build 2099
Computer 2: Quiet laptop computer (Lenovo T510)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU M540, 2.53 Ghz, x64-based processor
  • Audio Card: ?, has 3.5 mm jack
  • Software: Audacity 2.1.0 or can re-install N-Track 4.2.1 Build 2099
Computer 3: Fairly quiet all-in-one computer (Dell Studio One 19 All-in-One Desktop)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00 GHz, x64-based processor
  • Software: Audacity 2.1.0 or can re-install N-Track 4.2.1 Build 2099
Computer 4: Apple iPhone 6
  • Processor: A8 chip with 64-bit architecture
  • RAM: 1.00 GB
  • Software: GarageBand app for free
Computer 5: Kindle Fire HD 8.9
  • Processor: Dual-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A9
  • RAM: 1.00 GB
  • Software: ?

Hi,

If the hum was picked up electronically (ie. interference) then you probably had issues relating to ground paths or unbalanced audio signals.
If it was an acoustically recorded noise then it was most likely the sound of the fans in the computer, in which case moving the computer far away, slowing down the fans, watercooling, or getting bigger fans, would all be viable solutions.

Latency is going to directly relate to the hardware/driver quality, and system capability.
These days, mid i5 and better computers are common place and that kind of power is more than adequate for a modest low-latency recording rig.
It's still well advised to use a 'proper' audio interface, though, as the manufacturers have written the drivers and software with that kind of thing in mind.

The more tracks you want to record and the more resource-hungry effects and instruments you have, the more latency is going to become an issue,
but if you're even considering using a phone I imagine your requirements are pretty basic?

What exactly would you want to record and what kind of effects/instruments, if any, would you plan to use?

What exactly would you want to record and what kind of effects/instruments, if any, would you plan to use?

I was hoping to record up to 6 tracks. My goal was to lay 1 track down at a time. When laying down track 2, I would be listening to track 1 via monitoring headphones. When laying down track 3, I would be listening to track 1 & 2 via monitoring headphones. This would be an example setup; I don't imagine needing more than 6 tracks:
  1. Downloaded Drum Track → Computer
  2. Electric Bass → Marshall AVT20 20W 1x10 2-Channel Combo Amp with Reverb → M-Audio DMP3 2-Channel Mic Pre/Direct Box → Computer
  3. Acoustic Guitar → MXL 990/991 Studio Condenser Microphones → M-Audio DMP3 2-Channel Mic Pre/Direct Box → Computer
  4. Electric Guitar → Korg Pandora PX4D Guitar Multi Effects Processor → Marshall AVT20 20W 1x10 2-Channel Combo Amp with Reverb → M-Audio DMP3 2-Channel Mic Pre/Direct Box → Computer
  5. Voice 1 → MXL 990/991 Studio Condenser Microphones → M-Audio DMP3 2-Channel Mic Pre/Direct Box → Computer
  6. Voice 2 → MXL 990/991 Studio Condenser Microphones → M-Audio DMP3 2-Channel Mic Pre/Direct Box → Computer

Hi,
Ok, gotcha.
All of those examples lack and audio interface and just use the computer's built in audio.
That's going to be no good for latency and potentially bad for hum+buzz.

You didn't clarify if the 'hum' is acoustic noise in the room or interference, so I can't offer anything further there

Either way I think I'd run with the laptop and replace the preamp with a USB interface. This probably addresses the issue either way. :)

You didn't clarify if the 'hum' is acoustic noise in the room or interference, so I can't offer anything further there

Sorry about that. Yes, previous attempts involved acoustic noise from the desktop computer.

Either way I think I'd run with the laptop and replace the preamp with a USB interface. This probably addresses the issue either way. :)

My current condenser microphones require phantom power. If I replace the preamp with a USB interface, will the USB interface include phantom power? Can you recommend a handful of USB interface options? I am looking to spend the least amount of money.

Sorry about that. Yes, previous attempts involved acoustic noise from the desktop computer.

No worries. Cool.

My current condenser microphones require phantom power. If I replace the preamp with a USB interface, will the USB interface include phantom power? Can you recommend a handful of USB interface options? I am looking to spend the least amount of money.

Yes, most will have phantom power but it's always best to read the specs in full and be certain.
Something like Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 is great example of something simple covering all the needs.

Two mic preamps (just like your DMP3), phantom power, line/instrument option (for pluging bass/guitar/keyboards straight in), direct monitoring for zero latency,
speaker outputs and separate headphone output.

That little box replaces your soundcard completely.....ins and outs. :)

There's plenty of other options from tascam, alesis, presonus etc.
If you think there's any chance you might expand out and record your own drum kits etc, you could investigate 8 channel units from Tascam/Presonus.

Good luck.

I'm a big fan of Behringer's U-Phoria series. The UMC22 starts at $40, or step up to the UMC202HD to add a 2nd preamp and individual controls for headphone/main output (it's their equal to the Scarlett 2i2).

But if you already have a 2-channel preamp, maybe just one of Behringer's UCA series would do the trick. You'd have to adapt the DMP3's TRS outputs to the UCA's RCA inputs. And you'd lose the "balanced" part of the balanced outputs in the process. If you're struggling with line noise, you'd want to keep things balanced as much as possible on the way in and out of the interface.

Would this be a good inexpensive solution?

Behringer XENYX 302USB
302USB | Analog Mixers | Mixers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

Yes. No. Not really. Kind of. lol.

It gives you most of the functionality I talked about but the phantom power on those is 16/18/20V, I can't remember, and some capacitor mics are going to be finicky about that.
It also only has one preamp which rules out stereo mic recording - your acoustic guitar.
Edit: It seems like it has line inputs so you could use it with your DMP3.
There's nothing wrong with a mixer and/or a preamp but for what you're describing an audio interface will do it it one box.

What Tadpui suggests is a good option too. I was hesitant to suggest going unbalanced until there was a better description of that 'hum' but since it's fan noise that's not relevant.

I don't know...I always think what's the most capable piece of gear I can get for my money, particularly where inevitable growth and upgrades are concerned, whereas a lot of people think what's the bare minimum I can do/spend to get this working.
I understand the value of both approaches.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Behringer's U-Phoria series. The UMC22 starts at $40, or step up to the UMC202HD to add a 2nd preamp and individual controls for headphone/main output (it's their equal to the Scarlett 2i2).

But if you already have a 2-channel preamp, maybe just one of Behringer's UCA series would do the trick. You'd have to adapt the DMP3's TRS outputs to the UCA's RCA inputs. And you'd lose the "balanced" part of the balanced outputs in the process. If you're struggling with line noise, you'd want to keep things balanced as much as possible on the way in and out of the interface.

I finally went ahead and ordered the Behringer UMC22 -- actually, canceled my order and went with the Behringer UMC202HD so I can record stereo sound. Thanks for all of your help, community members!

Last edited:
I would recommend at least doubling the RAM on those computers - not sure which one you decided on. 8GB is kind of the minimum IMO to be able to be happy on a Windows system. I would also do some searching and learn about mitigations you should consider for Windows 10, in addition to the normal optimizations for using a computer for audio recording/mixing.

The laptop has the most modern processor of the bunch so would be my choice. And, you can always run on battery if you encounter any ground issues, at least to help diagnose issues.

I'm not familiar with the N-Track software, but the Behringer interface comes with a free DAW that is probably worth investigating, and there's always Reaper, which is not free, but affordable and popular with a good user community for support.

Back