Recommendations for Sound Card?

DadY

Hi all, I'm getting ready to build a new computer system and would like some advice on what sound card would be best for me.

I am using a Dell Dimension 4100 (866 mhz, 256RAM).
I currently have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (Esoniq ES1371) sound card, according to EVEREST.

What I am doing:

Currently using a cheap headphone/microphone combo to record voices and sounds, and music for Flash cartoons. When recording guitar, I play through amp and record with the headphone/mic. The program I use to record is Creative Wavestudio (very limited).

What I would like to do:

I want a sound card that would allow me to record and mix some dialogue, vocals, and some guitar tracks. Doing one at a time is OK, I don't need to service several people at once. Also, I'm not looking to have a recording studio.
The Motherboard I am thinking about is something in the area of Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe. I've been looking at some Creative Lab Audigy Platinum sound cards, and some things by a company called MAudio.
I have never built a system before, so that may be more than I need, or not enough. Or, maybe my means to reach the ends is out of whack.
Any recommendations or advice are welcome!

If you only want to record one source at a time the soundcards I've seen most recommended here (on this board) are the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and the Emu 0404, both are around $100 ......there are a bunch of comments on these cards if you do a search.

Last edited:
Back