Recommendations on music software?

Jazzman1949

I've been performing for 50 yrs. and got into home recording about 1996. In the past decade or so, I've been using TASCAM decks and found that they served my needs fairly well. But the changes TASCAM made between the 01-FX and the O3SD I just bought were just stupid (and cheap). I started looking at computer software but much of what I've seen thus far looks overly-complicated and many have tons of samples (which just jack up the memory needs of the software) that I simply don't need.

I just need a good, basic program that can do what the TASCAMs do, without a lot of extra crap. Some effects might be nice, but I already have a good rack.

Anyone like to make some recommendations?

The trouble is you're still thinking old school when you are considering how modern DAWs work. A good friend is really struggling with his old kit dying around him, but the jump to computers seems to really cause him grief.

many have tons of samples (which just jack up the memory needs of the software)
Yep - 100% right, but don't use them. Its a bit like trying to find a car without aircon, or electric windows, and power steering. They all eat up engine power and use the battery - but it doesn't matter. The engines are better and have more power to do all this.

I have a huge rack of effects, started the collection in 1980, and they gather dust. I could feed out audio to them, then take it back in - but why? In every case, the computer does it equally as well, if not better - and can of course control things - I can suddenly ramp up a delay for a snare hit, add in a double tap on the guitar and put an effect on a vocal stab, and then remove them again a bar later - I don't have three hands so couldn't do this for real without a computer?

Realistically - the problem is in the computer-human interface. So many bits of software, all working differently, but often doing the same things. The issue is can you stop doing things historically, and convert to doing it from a screen?

Audacity is free and pretty comprehensive. Lots of under the hood trickery, but I don't personally find it friendly. I'm currently using about 5% of cubase 9.5. The Cubase elements can do largely the same thing - but there are a few restrictions on what you can do, to urge you towards the full version. Other people use products from Magic or work on things like garage band, and the other more modern ones. Sound on Sound magazine for years have run an article for each popular platform each month - have a read of the back issues maybe.

The big problem is kind of surrendering to the machine. They ALL will have massive numbers of features you don't use. We all use different ones, and have different workflows, and do very different things. What you really don't want, is to focus on an electronic replacement for the old system - they can do more.

One of the biggest benefits is editing. With your linear recording system, you probably either re-record entire tracks till it is right, or do lots of drop-ins. With digital, you have almost infinite freedom to to much more - comping - for example. Record multiple takes and then chop it all up and re-arrange. Copying a phrase from versa 1 into verse 2, fixing pitch errors, snipping out the odd stand thump - all little stuff you will never want to give back. You 'think' you just want to replace what you have and carry on - my friend insists this is all he needs - but then gets grumpy when we fix things instead of re-recording.

All the current crop of DAWs have no problems running on most modern computers, and with a decent interface with lots in and out, everything (almost) is possible.

Re: the samples. Don't use them if you want, but I bet that at some point, you will - simply because they are on tap, and very decent quality.

They will ALL be a very steep learning curve, and you MUST allow considerable time to let it sink in. You will hate it for quite a while, and then one day, it will save your bacon by rescuing a project in a way the old linear systems never could have.

You do not want a basic product - nobody buys those any more, you buy a better one and only use what you are comfy with. The 5% figure I mentioned on my Cubase setup is probably accurate. I keep reading own forums somebody doing X with Cubase and me thinking.... I didn't know it could do that! I then try it, and either add it too my regular workflow, or not, as fits. Almost every need can be covered in multiple ways. I use Cubase's score editing quite a bit, but other people will never have tried it. Only recently did I start to use one of the other editors, and now that's the one I go to first.

I would say the old standby - Reaper since it can be used free (nag screen after a certain period) but not crippled. $60 to buy. Complex, yes it is. As stated above, all of these DAWs are doing what is considered today, basic. However, good online support, just focus on doing the fundamentals, recording tracks, level setting tracks, and mixing from the master channel.

Once you have the basics down, then you can move on to other stuff if you want. Get a decent interface, I use a US 1800 with 16 inputs. Using that, and to help make the transition to digital, run your mixer to the input channels and record. I guess what I am trying to say is, do an evolution and not a revolution. Might make the transition easier. And come here on the board to assist for guidance. We will walk you through it.

Most people on this board have gone through what you are going through. Just start out with finding your interface and how many inputs you need. 99% of the DAWs will support your interface as it should come with an ASIO driver, which most DAWS (not Audacity) will support. Once you have that, then work on the DAW.

Another vote for REAPER for a multitude of reasons....the most important one being the user groups , forums at COCKO's (who makes Reaper) and the amazing community of folks from all around the world sharing and helping each other use and improve the software. No other DAW comes close in that respect...Sure they all have groups and there are videos to learn from but hands down the REAPER community pales them all...If you go to the digital recordings section in the survey REAPER is the #1 DAW of choice here at HR.com. HERE is the link to that survey

It isn't made by a hardware company e.g. presonus or cubase, It isn't made by a "for profit" company like Pro Tools that makes a great product but the bottom line is pay through the nose or suck it....... it was made by a guy who loves music and brilliant coder Justin Frankel who invented Winamp some 20 years ago....It has got more commercialized but it still has his input and the uncrippled full functioning software is and will remain available for anyone in the world to use for free for as long as they want to with only a gentle reminder ( 10 second nag screen at start up ) that they would like you to pay the $60 if you are using it.

To be clear any DAW you choose is going to have a learning curve. Magically converting analog audio tracks into digital ones via an audio interface and then routing them into your computer and getting them to show up and perform properly in your Digital Audio Workstation software (DAW) can be a daunting task for someone who is used to working with an analog 4 track or 8 track recorder that you just plug your mic or instrument into and press record... It's worth going through the pain of the learning curve. Think bicycle vs motorcycle... Unlimited tracks, effects and editing capabilities you could only dream of.

With less than $1000 investment including the computer you have in your hands an audio recording system that pales million dollar studios of the 70's

A decent PC with a good amount of Ram and an i5 or newer processor , a decent interface..... I recommend the U-PHORIA UMC204HD at $100 to get your feet wet and you are rolling.... Just Do It!

Back