Recommendation for simple line-input for MacBook Pro

mashers

Hi all

I'm just setting up my home studio and have a Behringer mixing desk, a couple of mics, my electro-acoustic guitar and my MacBook. I'll be doing the acoustic treatment in due course but I want to get the gear set up first so I can get an idea of the space I'll have to work with.

I had been using an iMac which has a line input, so the jacks from my desk just went straight in. But on setting up my MacBook Pro (late 2011 model) I've realised it doesn't have a line input. So I'm looking for a simple and straightforward USB interface which will provide line input. I don't need mic inputs, pre-amps or anything like that, as that's all provided by the desk. I literally just need line level input. The lower the latency the better of course, but there is a dizzying array out there and I don't really know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Late 2011 MBP has a dual purpose 3.5mm socket.
I can't remember if it auto-senses or if you have to tell it, but the socket functions as a headphone output or a line input.
Of course if you need bot simultaneously then you're back to square one.

Let us know. :)

Thanks Steenamaroo! I did explore that option but I need input and output from the MacBook simultaneously. Also, I believe the line in through the headphone jack is mono only. So yeah, I still need a USB interface :)

Thanks Steenamaroo! I did explore that option but I need input and output from the MacBook simultaneously.

Ah, ok.
Well, if unbalanced IO is ok for you (built in would have been), something like the behringer uca 202 could do the job.
It has no headphone output, though, which means you'll have to
A: get a headphone amp,
B: return the 202 outs to the desk and route from there,
or
C: use an aggregate device in MacOS to let you use the mac's built in headphone output.

I used a firestudio mobile with my 2011 (and 2015) MBP.
I know it's got a lot more than you need, but it'd be worth a look on the used market.

They're cheap 'cos no one wants firewire now, but it'd keep your ins and outs to one box, with good drivers, and give you an independent headphone output with its own volume control.
Line inputs would be balanced, too, which is good where hums and buzzes are a concern.
A pair of decent (high gain) preamps on the front doesn't hurt, even if it's not on your shopping list.

Just my thoughts. :)

Actually unbalanced is fine - the desk is right next to the laptop so I can use an extremely short cable between the two, so noise shouldn’t be a problem. Headphone output isn’t a problem - I’d just set the behringer usb interface as the input for Reason (my DAW) and it would automatically mix the input to the track and route it all to the output bus (i.e. the headphone socket of the built-in sound card). As luck would have it Amazon has the uca202 for £20 at the moment which is £30 off the normal price. So I’ll go for that I think. I also like that it’s behringer which is the same as my desk and mics.

The fire studio does look nice, but it’s overkill for what I need as an amateur and still fairly pricey even on the used market. So I’ll go for the uca202 and see how I get on.

Thanks for the reocmmention, I really appreciate it!

Headphone output isn’t a problem - I’d just set the behringer usb interface as the input for Reason (my DAW) and it would automatically mix the input to the track and route it all to the output bus (i.e. the headphone socket of the built-in sound card).

You might find that's not the case. Most recording suites will only address one hardware device at a time though, as I say,
there's no big deal on MacOS because you can create an aggregate of the two pieces of hardware and your software will happily address that.

Either way, sounds like the 202 is the chap for the job.
Good luck! ;)

You might find that's not the case. Most recording suites will only address one hardware device at a time though, as I say,
there's no big deal on MacOS because you can create an aggregate of the two pieces of hardware and your software will happily address that.
Ahh you're right. Reason won't allow input from one device and output to another. Although I only have one physical card (the built-in one), I also have Soundflower installed, and although it lists it as a possible source, it won't allow me to combine it with any other device. But I was able to create an aggregate device consisting of built-in input and Soundflower, so I will be able to do this when the 202 arrives.

Having said this, I've just re-checked, and the Behringer I have ordered does in fact have a headphone output:

amzn.eu/cCQYRSM

So I'm not sure if an aggregate device will actually be necessary, as if the headphone output works as I expect, I can just set the Behringer as the input and output device in Reason.

I'll report back once I get it. Thanks again for your help :)

Oooh, apologies for the misinformation.
The Behry on its own does the job then. :)

Beat me to it! I am a teensy bit of an expert with 202s, had a few but I am of course relentlessly PC!

The headphone output is not bad, I get more than enough level into my AKG K92s and I am deaf! Do note the 202 is a neg ten device? 0dBFS hits at about 1volt input and this could be a bother getting a decent S/N figure from the mixer since you won't be driving it fully plus the mixer meters and DAW will not relate. 10+10k log pot in a tin at the input solves that one.

Dave.

Oooh, apologies for the misinformation.
The Behry on its own does the job then. :)
No worries, and thanks again for the recommendation!

The headphone output is not bad, I get more than enough level into my AKG K92s and I am deaf! Do note the 202 is a neg ten device? 0dBFS hits at about 1volt input and this could be a bother getting a decent S/N figure from the mixer since you won't be driving it fully plus the mixer meters and DAW will not relate. 10+10k log pot in a tin at the input solves that one.

Dave.
This all sounds quite important but I don’t really understand it. Are you saying I won’t get a good signal/noise ratio with this setup? And if not, could you explain the fix you described in more detail? I’m an experienced musician but am new to recording hardware so really don’t know what I’m doing.

No worries, and thanks again for the recommendation!

This all sounds quite important but I don’t really understand it. Are you saying I won’t get a good signal/noise ratio with this setup? And if not, could you explain the fix you described in more detail? I’m an experienced musician but am new to recording hardware so really don’t know what I’m doing.

Ok but I am about to pit (1am here!) Mixers usually run at +4dBu out, about a volt of signal and have at least 20dB of headroom =10V. That will distort the input of the 202 (but do it no harm). Yes, you could back off the levels in the mixer but that often causes a relative increase in noise. Best option is to run the mixer at the right level then attenuate the output.

Oil be beck.

Dave.

Ok but I am about to pit (1am here!) Mixers usually run at +4dBu out, about a volt of signal and have at least 20dB of headroom =10V. That will distort the input of the 202 (but do it no harm). Yes, you could back off the levels in the mixer but that often causes a relative increase in noise. Best option is to run the mixer at the right level then attenuate the output.

Oil be beck.

Dave.

So how worried do I need to be about this problem? And what would be involved in attenuating the mixer output?

I don't imagine so.
Daves just making sure you know that professional line level is generally a little hotter than consumer.
Because the Behry operates at consumer, you might have to notch the mixer's output faders down a teensy bit to compensate.
Play it by ear. :)

I don't imagine so.
Daves just making sure you know that professional line level is generally a little hotter than consumer.
Because the Behry operates at consumer, you might have to notch the mixer's output faders down a teensy bit to compensate.
Play it by ear. :)

Yup, Mk1 lug always a good first try. If things seem a bit "cramped" come back and I will get me pencil and pad out.

Dave.

Thanks so much guys. I'll see how things sound when the Behringer arrives. I've got everything else I need in terms of cabling, so I'm just waiting for the Behringer now. It's coming from China even though I ordered from Amazon which has made me slightly dubious (hopefully it's not a fake), so I'll have to wait and see when it gets here!

Oooo! A FAKE Behringer! Now I would love to be a fly on the wall if Uli heard about that!

"How DARE they fake our carefully reverse engineered copies!!
Dave.

Back