Recommendation for simple line-input for MacBook Pro

The Behringer arrived today and it seems to be working! I had a slight complication when I first connected it because my DAW recognised one "USB Codec" device, but it was output only. No inputs at all. I went into my Mac's Audio/MIDI settings and there were two separate hardware devices detected, one for input and one for output. I created an aggregate device for both, restarted the DAW, selected the aggregate device as its sound card, and it works. This is slightly annoying as it adds about 6ms of latency to the input (for a total of 7ms). Any advice on that would be appreciated, if there is a way around it. I'm assuming this latency is because the audio is having to be routed through the software aggregate device which adds processing time.

I haven't had a chance to test properly yet, but a quick recording sounded decent to my ear. I've got a few things to record once I've put up my soundproof curtain and baffling, so I'll have a better idea by then.

All very well Uli trying to defend the practice but he is a charlatan. Look if you will at the Bugera 5watt head and then a Blackstar HT-5? Ok, for sure Berrys are entitled to make a small 5 watt amp, they can even use much the same circuitry but a blatant cosmetic copy is just taking the proverbial.

Today as it happened there was a BBC programme about a firm setting up making fake ice cream vans would you believe? Sold on social media for 1/2 the pukkha one.
Now the investigators setup a car across the street filming the factory comings and goings. A week or so later the car was stolen and all the survailence kit stolen. THAT is major crime. Does Mr Behringer REALLY want to be tarred with the same brush?

Yes, it is a big world, sometimes thing get invented "twice" but the decent thing to do is establish rights then agree to cease and desist or pay license fees. NOT employ an army of lawyers and beat the little guy into the ground.

Dave.

All very well Uli trying to defend the practice but he is a charlatan. Look if you will at the Bugera 5watt head and then a Blackstar HT-5? Ok, for sure Berrys are entitled to make a small 5 watt amp, they can even use much the same circuitry but a blatant cosmetic copy is just taking the proverbial.

Today as it happened there was a BBC programme about a firm setting up making fake ice cream vans would you believe? Sold on social media for 1/2 the pukkha one.
Now the investigators setup a car across the street filming the factory comings and goings. A week or so later the car was stolen and all the survailence kit stolen. THAT is major crime. Does Mr Behringer REALLY want to be tarred with the same brush?

Yes, it is a big world, sometimes thing get invented "twice" but the decent thing to do is establish rights then agree to cease and desist or pay license fees. NOT employ an army of lawyers and beat the little guy into the ground.

Dave.

I am not endorsing anything in the article, taking any side or trying to make a point of any kind by posting it. I just posted it because I didn't get the joke posted previously, and this article explained it.

The Behringer arrived today and it seems to be working! I had a slight complication when I first connected it because my DAW recognised one "USB Codec" device, but it was output only. No inputs at all. I went into my Mac's Audio/MIDI settings and there were two separate hardware devices detected, one for input and one for output. I created an aggregate device for both, restarted the DAW, selected the aggregate device as its sound card, and it works. This is slightly annoying as it adds about 6ms of latency to the input (for a total of 7ms). Any advice on that would be appreciated, if there is a way around it. I'm assuming this latency is because the audio is having to be routed through the software aggregate device which adds processing time..

Damn. I wasn't aware of that but I google a bit and it seems to be how it is.
You're right; I think using aggregate device always adds some latency although, that said, I don't think 7ms should be noticeable at all.

Damn. I wasn't aware of that but I google a bit and it seems to be how it is.
You're right; I think using aggregate device always adds some latency although, that said, I don't think 7ms should be noticeable at all.
Yeah it’s fine, I’m happy with 7ms. I was able to record with effects on and monitor along with the mix and there was no perceptible latency so I think I’m all good :)

I am not endorsing anything in the article, taking any side or trying to make a point of any kind by posting it. I just posted it because I didn't get the joke posted previously, and this article explained it.

Yes Mashers I get THAT. I just today saw the BBC progg' about the fake vans and it prompted me to write that piece because that shows that copying someone else's work is not just lazy and unethical it shows that a company is sailing very close to "organized crime".

Dave.

Back