Reaper Question

D

danny.guitar

Someone on this forum was nice enough to send me the SR202 drum machine. I love it.

The drum machine supports (I think) up to 16 outputs according to the manual. Up until now, I've just recorded the drums as a mono track by recording the output of the VSTi. So the drums are in mono. It records as a stereo track but both channels are the same, so really, it's in mono.

How do I set it up so I can record different drums (kick, snare, hi-hats, etc.) to different tracks?

Maybe something to do with making a track "folder"? I've tried right-clicking stuff to no avail.

Also, one more question while I'm at it. How do I set a certain point on a track to do a punch-in? So when I hit record, I can pick up about 5 seconds before the punch in and it will start recording at that spot?

For example, I set a punch-in spot at 2:10 into the song. I click the record button while at 2:05 and it plays back until it gets to 2:10 and then it starts recording?

Pipeline Audio help me out. ;) Or anyone else who knows a lot about Reaper. ;)

punch in:

options > record mode: auto punch selection

select the track you want to record on, arm it, set a selection, place the play cursor where you want the playback to begin, and hit record.

multi out vsti: (it looks complicated in words. watch pipeline's video)

your vsti must support multi out. load your vst and look just above it's interface for the 'outs' button. click it and see how many outputs it has. if it only has two, that's what you get (there are ways around that but i'll skip it for now). click the vsti track i/o button and look for 'track channels'. set it to the number of outputs you need or higher. go back to the vsti interface's 'outs' button and assign each of it's outputs to it's own track channel. that takes care of the vsti setup.

to route the outputs to separate tracks, create the number of tracks you will need. one for kick, one for snare, etc. and name them. in the vsti track i/o, assign a send to each of the tracks that you created. now change each send to only send the track channel or channels to each individual track.

that sounds complicated, i know. watch pipeline's video a couple of times. the thing to understand here is that a multi out vsti has it's own outputs that must be routed to the vsti track's multi outputs which must be assigned to multiple tracks.

TravisinFlorida said:
punch in:

options > record mode: auto punch selection

select the track you want to record on, arm it, set a selection, place the play cursor where you want the playback to begin, and hit record.

multi out vsti: (it looks complicated in words. watch pipeline's video)

your vsti must support multi out. load your vst and look just above it's interface for the 'outs' button. click it and see how many outputs it has. if it only has two, that's what you get (there are ways around that but i'll skip it for now). click the vsti track i/o button and look for 'track channels'. set it to the number of outputs you need or higher. go back to the vsti interface's 'outs' button and assign each of it's outputs to it's own track channel. that takes care of the vsti setup.

to route the outputs to separate tracks, create the number of tracks you will need. one for kick, one for snare, etc. and name them. in the vsti track i/o, assign a send to each of the tracks that you created. now change each send to only send the track channel or channels to each individual track.

that sounds complicated, i know. watch pipeline's video a couple of times. the thing to understand here is that a multi out vsti has it's own outputs that must be routed to the vsti track's multi outputs which must be assigned to multiple tracks.

Thanks. :cool: (give me ur guitar plz)

I figured out the options > record mode: auto punch selection, but I wasn't sure if that would record over only the selection I made or keep recording past that selection.

As for the separate tracks, I'm gonna try that in a few minutes when I'm not so fuckin wasted and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks again.

As convenient as that thread is, I think it's going to prevent new users from learning signal routing in Reaper. Setting up BFD and SFZ for multi outs is how I learned how flexible Reaper's signal routing is and I'm glad I did it the hard way. Fumbling thru it a couple of times was a great learning experience.

I kind of feel the same way about presets for the Reaper and Jesusonic plugins.

well yeah some of us are gearboxers and there is NO WAY to learn like learning by doing for sure

but you wouldnt believe the HATE that reaper recieves as this is somehow too hard
I mean vitriolic hateful nastiness

pipelineaudio said:
well yeah some of us are gearboxers and there is NO WAY to learn like learning by doing for sure

but you wouldnt believe the HATE that reaper recieves as this is somehow too hard
I mean vitriolic hateful nastiness

Oh, I would believe it. I've seen the uncountable 'how do i get x drum vsti to work in reaper' threads at the cockos forum. I guess if anyone really needs to learn the routing, they'll eventually dig and figure it out.

I must not be doing something right.

I did as you said Travis but the other tracks aren't receiving any audio. I set the outputs of the drum machine (it has 4 come to find out...kick, share, hi-hat, crash is how I have it setup right now).

I set the main track that has the VSTi on it so the sends are:

Track 2: Kick
Track 3: Snare
Track 4: Hi-hat
Track 5: Crash

I have that main track with the VSTi on it as recording from MIDI keyboard.

What should the input device be set to on Track 2 through 5?

I record but everything gets recorded to the main track with the VSTi on it and nothing on the other tracks. :confused:

I uploaded a screenshot of both the main drum track (that has the VSTi on it) and one of the other receiving tracks I/O.

Attachments

• drums.gif
    drums.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 10
  • drums_receive.gif
    drums_receive.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 11
pipelineaudio said:
danny can you post your send screencap?

or better yet, can you come to reaperchat for some realtime help?

server: irc.cockos.com

channel: #reaper

http://www.mirc.com/ is an easy to use easy to set up chat server

Send screencap is the first .gif file on there "drums.gif".

Gonna join the IRC room.

Thanks pipepline!!! Got it working now.

You're the man. :cool: You should make a video for doing sends/receives and add it to your other videos. :)

Back