Reaper (compressor) mastering tips?

GreenDank

On the topic of reaper, does anyone have sort of a "nice starting point" for compressing (using the VST reacomp) a final mix for mastering a typical metal song where I want it to be nice and loud and squashed? (I know, most people hate squashing since it kills many of the dynamics, but I'm working on a "modern" project and want it to fit with the times)

I know one setting won't work for all situations, but there's so many tweakable parameters, I don't even know where to start. I don't think there's presets you can go through for mastering, so I thought I'd see if there's a good starting point. Then if it's breathing or whatnot, I can lower one paramater at a time to fix whatever issue is weird.

Threshold = -50db.
Attack = 0.01ms
Release = 0.01ms
Makeup gain... raise it until the meter is hitting the red almost all the time.

:D

thanks!

I also realized that the classic series limiter does a nice metal squash, and has lotsa presets, but I will try yours as well! although I don't recall -50 being anywhere near what I ever used on anything in the past, so hopefully this isn't a trick (ya kinda missed about 10 sliders and buttons on the interface). if so, it's a funny one nonetheless. wouldn't there be a starting compression ratio? seems like an important item.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-master-limiter.php

in the JS plugins, use varying degrees of Scott Stillwell's "Event Horizon" as well

The main tricks are going to be in creating the right sidechain filters and rms values in ReaComp. Also, make sure its not set to "classic mode" or the attack isnt going to be fast enough...you might also want some precomp

pipelineaudio said:
in the JS plugins, use varying degrees of Scott Stillwell's "Event Horizon" as well

The main tricks are going to be in creating the right sidechain filters and rms values in ReaComp. Also, make sure its not set to "classic mode" or the attack isnt going to be fast enough...you might also want some precomp

killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back