random, yet annoying

camn

ok, so this isn't really an audio question... and I probly know the answer.. but maybe one of you has a workaround...

my problem is this:

I have a dual monitor setup, on two mega crappy video cards. the primary is a Jaton Video-61-3D and my secondary is a Trident 968x 1MB. (dont laugh, yall)
So I have an ASUS P2BF and win 98 (im upgrading as soon as im done with current project!!) And I like to put my desktop Icons in particular places. So I drag them there and everything is fine. But when I reboot, they are all in random places.. incidentally all on the primary screen.
And theyre not "autoarranged", but theyre not entirely random either... theres a clump on the left, on in the bottom rt corner, two similar files on the right and one offset on the bottom. and they mix up every time.

Anyway... has this happened to anyone, and did you find a solution??

ps my drivers are TRID_PCI and S3_3 .

thanks in advance
oxoxoxox

Hi! I've talked to a couple of "experts" about dual monitors in win98, and they told me they couldn't get it to work at all with two different video cards. They suggested getting two of the same video cards....well one the pci version and one the agp version of the same card....or preferably, get the matrox g400 dual head video card.
I'm surprised you got those 2 cards working together at all. Are the icons the only problems you have? Have you tried "putting it through it's paces" yet?
Sounds like you're trying to get away with using 2 very cheapo cards...you may have to bite the bullet and spend some $$ :)

so how much can u buy one of these dual heads for?? I was actually thinking about trying what camns doing , but with 1 good card and another crappy one .. but hey i might try bighting that same bullet and fork over some dollars ... but just wondering , what would be a good price u think ?? and know anywhere online ?? thanks heaps ...

:) Well I haven't actually done it myself(yet), but you could still try using what you have. If it works, you can help me out later hehe. Seriously, though, the matrox g400 is the only dual head card I know of. I think there's 2 versions, a 16Mb and a 32Mb. You'll find them in the range of $110(16Mb) and $140(32Mb).
You can search on www.pricewatch.com to get an idea for the going rates. They even have links to the dealers so you can buy.
I think you should try out your cards 1st, though. You may actually get it to work, but if not, don't let it get to ya. I don't know anyone personally who has gotten 2 different cards to work like that.

other than the icon thing.. its totally perfect. and Id spend the dough on good cards, but all I hear about is the video cards hogging resources and causing a bunch of silly conflicts. Cheapie cards never give ya trouble. they bow to the will of the soundcard.

oh, well.
xoxoxo

Back