Random clipping on digital 8-track. Please Help.

Darien7

Hello Everyone,

I am recording guitar on a Zoom 8 track. I've had the unit for years with no problems. I've been doing some serious recording lately and now, with only a few tracks left to record, I'm getting a clipping sound when I play guitar. The sound happens at any volume, on any guitar. It is definitely not a level issue. I'm plugged directly into the unit. It only happens occasionally, usually near the end of a good take. There are no problems with keyboard or vocals. Please, any help would be much appreciated, this is doing my head in.

Thank you.

Just a quick update. I will upload an example soon, I've just got to get some more discs (the unit is circa 2005 and doesn't have usb). In the meantime, here's some more info. The sound seems to actually be an earthing problem, but it has clipping traits too, freaking weird. I've discovered that my guitar now has a hum when I'm not touching metal, and that stupid click sound when I touch a string. But the clicking sounds also happen when I'm playing, constantly touching the metal bridge, and it seems to intensify at certain pitches, like it would if your levels were peaking, but they aren't even close to peaking. My main guitar has twin humbuckers in two years has never before had a buzzing/earthing problem.

So in a nutshell, out of nowhere, with no changes to my set-up, my guitars-when connected to the 8 track-are making a sound that resembles clipping or an earthing problem........I've tried different guitars, different guitar cables, different power points, turning off all other electrical appliances and on and on...

Last edited:
You can't get clipping at 'any' volume. Only when the input signal is too high. Are you sure it is clipping when you are recording and not on playback?

Back