ram upgrade

curiousgeorge

I have a desktop which i want to use for recording my guitars keyboards etc if i upgrade from 1gb to 2 gb will speed up my pc quite a bit?Thanks in advance

Yes. But you should upgrade to the max your board and operating system can handle. Windows 32 bit maxes out at 4gb, 64bit at 8gb.
Upgrading from 1gb to 2 will make it faster. upgrading to 4gb will make it FAST.

Of course some of that depends on the type and speed of your CPU. If your running at least a dual core 2, it'll be very quick after the ram upgrade. anything less, faster, but not fast.

64bit at 8gb

This isn't correct. 64-bit systems can handle much, much more RAM, however you will be limited by your motherboard. The typical limit for modern boards is 32GB - as the OP's machine is probably somewhat older, it may well have a lower limit. RAM is so cheap, I'd recommend moving to at least 4GB.

Hi George.
It depends on your computer.
If your bottle neck happens to be CPU power then adding ram may not be all that helpful.

For example, if you're running an old pentium 3 with 1gb ram, then it's probably not worth the upgrade, but if you're on a core2duo, then it definitely is.

Hi George.
It depends on your computer.
If your bottle neck happens to be CPU power then adding ram may not be all that helpful.

For example, if you're running an old pentium 3 with 1gb ram, then it's probably not worth the upgrade, but if you're on a core2duo, then it definitely is.

And this ^^^^.

Thanks guys
it is an old system heres the specs xp 32 bit sp3 cpu amd athlon xp thoroughbred 0.13 um technology motherboard e22m socket a

Well, I don't know exactly what chip you have, but I read a benchmark which directly compared a t-bred 2200 with P4 1.8 and 2.2 chips.

That makes it pretty old and outdated several times over now; I'm not sure that RAM is going to help much.
The fact that the benchmarks were run with 2x256mb ram made me question that.

Anyway, it all boils down to what you plan to use the system for.
It you're running simple sessions, there's no reason why it won't be fine.

For anything taxing, it might be new PC time.

If that's the case, go ahead and try it out if you haven't already.
There's a good chance it'll be fine, and if it isn't you can use the system performance monitor to find out where the weak spots are.

Yes. But you should upgrade to the max your board and operating system can handle. Windows 32 bit maxes out at 4gb, 64bit at 8gb.
Upgrading from 1gb to 2 will make it faster. upgrading to 4gb will make it FAST.

Of course some of that depends on the type and speed of your CPU. If your running at least a dual core 2, it'll be very quick after the ram upgrade. anything less, faster, but not fast.

Actually the max RAM for 64bit OS is a theoretical 16 Exabytes. Though most Motherboards will only accept a max of 16 or 32 Gigabytes.

as for the OP, if the computer is old enough that it only came with 1GB standard, then it will most likely only be a 32 bit OS able to have a max of 4GB. As Windows Vista, 7 and Mac OS 64bit, all need 2GB minimum to be effective.

I'd recommend, if possible, going for a new computer even. Though the full 4GB of RAM should make a noticeable difference for cheap enough.

Back